Dark Theme for Sailfish

I have a problem, Sailfish is far too colourful for me, I don’t know, I don’t like it.
My problem is I can’t find a way to set or even find a dark theme. I’m going in the direction of Youtube Dark Mode, Facebook Dark Mode etc. .
Does anyone know how to set something like that?

3 Likes

Hmmmm. I think you need to create something like that yourself.

How can you create something like this?

Dark ambience themes don’t work very well on Sailfish. This is due to the way ambience handles colours. The text elemtent needs to stay white in many cases, but some aspects of the OS help to occlude white text with white and light coloured backgrounds.

I created a black ambience, it kind of works, but as stated above, there are times when text becomes unreadable. Personally, I think the entire ambience thing is a pile of sh-eye-t, normal theming would be much more satisfactory, but Jolla loves FORM over FUNCTION, so we are largely stuck with this crap called ambience.

You can create ambience packages using the Sailfish SDK, it actually has an ambience template to get you started, but of course, now you have to learn how to use SDK, all that just to have a dark theme!, what a joke!, and not a funny one either. Welcome to SFOS, where function is pushed out the window over form.

2 Likes

https://openrepos.net/content/nokius/carbon-fibre-ambience

I have been using this Carbon Fibre Ambience for years now and I am very happy with it. I never noticed any problems with unreadable text, though there might be some apps that are not compatible. I used it on my Jolla 1 and now my Xperia XA2.

Ofcourse it doesn’t do anything for websites and Android apps.
It might be nice if the ambience could make the browser register for Dark Mode so that when a website offers that, it switches to that. But since the ambience is unmaintained, I don’t see that happen and I don’t really mind.

4 Likes

Originally posted here - https://together.jolla.com/question/11949/black-and-white-ambiences/?answer=12163#post-id-12163

devel-su dconf write /desktop/jolla/theme/color/highlight “’#dddddd’” will change the highlight color to a light grey, which will remove all the colorful accents from the other elements, (for secondary highlight color, change the word “highlight” to “secondaryHighlight”).
Besides that, you can modify files in /usr/share/lipstick-jolla-home-qt5, and in /usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica. I can give more specifics if interested…

8 Likes

But do the changes survive a reboot?

Yes, but you will have to re-apply after changing ambience. I just have the command stored in qCommand, so I can do it one-click…

2 Likes

At least for native apps, there is also a black and white wireframe icon set floating around:

7 Likes

Thank you that really helped me.

Where can I find this exactly?
I like the icons very much

You can send me a DM with your email address, and I’ll send you what I have.
Originally, they are from a thread over at together.jolla.com, but the links there don’t work anymore.

That’s a bit overdramatic. You can easily create ambience RPMs using a simple .spec file, placing the right files into the build dir and calling rpmbuild (-bb --short-circuit).

No SDK and almost no tooling needed.

Of course, learning .spec and RPM building from zero is still quite the effort, so I see your point.

And to be honest, a bit of a learning curve is desired/admired/required :wink:

But of course I do see your point(s).

Regarding packaging and especially an ambience one please see here

for a simple example and nice instructions!

@nephros the short circuit is not doing anything for bb (only bc or bi), right?

A dark theme is also essential for models with OLED screen technologies, e.g. XZ3 (unofficial port), 10 II.

qCommand? What is it and where do I find it?

1 Like

I think he’s talking about this : https://openrepos.net/content/coanteen/qcommand

3 Likes

Yep, exactly.

But when advertising qCommand we should also mention ShellEx
Both support also executing via root.

2 Likes

As of my last spin with Shellex, root use was a WIP, and not working for me, (at least not in a one-click sense - I know you could get it to work with sudo and interactive options. qCommand works without any maneuvering, and stores password).

2 Likes

Just installed https://openrepos.net/content/polleke/ambience-white-black seems to work well.

3 Likes