Creating blog about creating sailfishos apps

OK, just announce it here beforehand (I’ll just check the manpages, let me dive into this C-for beginners book, ffs just add -stack-overflow into your query and be done with it)

“Hacking” is a broad term, especially in its original sense. Would fit imho. The worst case it won’t be approved. Not sure I’d phrase it “how to make apps for sfos” as the problem you want to tackle is not starting apps, but making them proper. Maybe along the line “Turning your SFOS app from beast to beauty”?

Anyway, up to you, it was just a suggestion.

I think a talk about: how to cheat your way through QA into the harbour store to gain root permission and steal all your data… or something like that is more fitting of CCC, what exact chaos is making your sfos app more user friendly bringing?

I’m not really qualified for that so ill pass

Found 4 people telling me not to so probably won’t happen

I found 5 people that told me you should do it :wink:

can I be the 6th “pro” voter? :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Here is blog guys https://blog.verdanditeam.com/ it’s not much but it’s honest work.

7 Likes

https://blog.verdanditeam.com/designing-sailfishos-applications

First legit post. Please be gentle :<

10 Likes

thanks for writing this. Eager to read additional articles :slight_smile:

was it any good? lol

2 Likes

Yeah, it was pretty good

Good read. Thanks for the blog!

Thanks for this nice article. Pointing out things that should not be done is a good idea. However, it would be even better to actually show how to fix them.

As the original person who committed some of the ugliness described in your article (hope you like the app despite them :slight_smile: ), i’ll be glad to fix these issues, and the article could then be improved with a real use case (before -> after). The Sailfish docs have some examples about don’t, they’re all with a do example. It would be very nice to have the same kind of advices. Feel free to contact me for this.

On a side note, as for putting non-menu items in the pulley menu, the original idea comes from sailfishos media player (same goes for using a dock to display currently playing info). Clearly putting a volume slider there is not the best idea ever, suggestions are welcome on where to put it :).

I’m literally redesigning kontroller because of how unbearably ugly it looks. Sorry for hard words :smiley:

Lemme handle redesigning kontroller it gonna be pretty. Also thanks for suggestions but you must know it’s only first post of many, so I’ll put not do and do too ofc we even created entire GitHub organization that will contain components and code examples that people can just grab and have pretty app.

Thanks for a nice blog post! I was confused about some stuff though.

If you need something to be easily accessible no matter what you are doing on first page, use attached page instead of panel on bottom.

Doesn’t this conflict with your “One click principle”?

never ever use those menus as delegate in list that has theoretically no limit.

I’ve seen multiple apps with first pages that had grid with about 6 buttons that are used to go to different pages. This is pure evil and please never do that.

So if you have a long list on first page and you shouldn’t use pulley menus with such a list but you still need to access several other pages quickly. How are you supposed to do that?

As already mentioned by @JulienBlanc I would love to see examples of how to do stuff instead.

Unbearably ugly may be a bit harsh :slight_smile: . But i’ll take i’m clearly not a designer. However, i’m working on the app right now, some changes will inevitably have some impacts on the gui. It’ll be far easier for both of us if we can sync things (switching the home page to a standard list was on my todo, for example). github should be the best place for this, i’ll be happy to merge any PRs, even unfinished.

Regards,

Oh, and please add support for RSS on the blog (It doesn’t work with my RSS reader anyway)

pushing my current changes in a second

1 Like

I’ll look into it. Hey comments at least have RSS

1 Like