Community OBS - Refurbished and re-floated

Is it only me having some Issues with the webhooks due to SSL certificate problems?

hi
i must be a dau
so i have now a login for https://bugs.merproject.org/
but how that that help me here ?
Please Log In - SailfishOS Open Build Service
thanks !
P

The same credentials should work there, too. (At least they did for me)

How can I fix the state “downloading X dod packages” my packages (pyparsing / packaging) seem to be stuck in for some days?
They depend on some official packages from Jolla.

According to Show sailfishos:4.3.0.12:aarch64 - SailfishOS Open Build Service , the download on demand repo seems to be broken, but the status page says that the last update was 2022-02-07 17:45:05+00:00

@takimata: I have pinged @lbt regarding it on Saturday and this morning. It is something that OBS administrators have to fix. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon. Not much we can do on our side…

edit: Seems to be fixed already, thanks!

Did you manage to get in? I’ve the same problem and think I must be missing something glaringly obvious :joy:

i my case : i had a miss communication with lbt
so i was using wrong user :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are getting close to the anniversary of the original announcement. As the commitment by Jolla was made for a year, it would be great to hear what are the plans regarding OBS.

6 Likes

So, the last Community Meeting repeats that sentiment.

Something is expected to be put forth to Jolla that hopefully will lead to another commitment of keeping OBS.

Personally I believe Chum to be a great success, and the Porters Community is also benefitting as always from the OBS workflow.

Question: how can we as the community help to make a good case?

7 Likes

I can see the following points at least:

• reducing risk up upgrade failures caused by third-party repos (OpenRepos), because:
    • of per-release repos and builds on OBS/chum
    • less breakage with compatability changes
    • less “aging” of unmaintained repos because of auto-rebuild
  • speeding up adoption of new architecture (see the whole “app not available on aarch64” topic)
  • low barrier to entry for new developers: while OBS and all that goes with it is not easy to learn, collaborative building development can be helpful to app developers compared to development and building locally using SDK
  • low barrier to entry for picking up and maintaining abandoned apps (because they are quick to get built, and through community repos such as the chum github community can achieve more reliable maintainership)
  • increased quality of .specs/dependencies because of differences in OBS and SDK build environments
3 Likes

I’d add:

• a future mechanism for signing packages?
  • leverage existing libraries
  • a future automated auditing (for a catalog of vulns)?
  • ease of use when upgrading (just one repo to disable/enable)

Just a couple of quick ideas.

It’s been now more than a week since I’ve been trying to get an account created at OBS. Is there any other way to achieve it, other than counting on @lbt’s response which doesn’t come?

This is the only way I know.
have you tried contact him by IRC?

1 Like

Sorted this out this morning - I was in Finland last week and “quite busy” so it slipped my mind - sorry :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much! And sorry for my impatience :slight_smile:

Hello, can you help me register on the OBS server?

That is definitely a feature.

Try using build.merproject.org instead of build.sailfishos.org, they both resolve to the same IP address.
Note that the DNS entry for build.sailfishos.org has been broken for long, but seems to be fixed recently.

Thanks, but that wasn’t the issue :confused: . When trying to login on build.merproject.org it gives “Authentication failed”, while I was able to login on bugs.merproject.org (it seems to be down now).