Community meeting on November 12, 2026

Please note new time slot

Schedule: Thursday 2026-11-12T17:00:00Z :world_map: :date:

Sailfish OS Community Calendar (ICS format)

Even if you do not participate, topics tend to generate discussion. I want to see discussion happening. Thus, I’m proposing that we’d use 10mins as minimum topic duration. Maximum 6 topics a week. We’ll continue with the extended 90 mins meeting duration.

Jolla to check action points from the previous meeting. We agreed today that we’ll start to follow up action points on each meeting.

Topic proposals for the meeting:

  • Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

  • Name/IRC nick:
  • Topic:
  • Some details about the topic:
  • Approx. time needed:
  • Substitute (optional):

Open Pull Requests:
If you have, or know of, a pull request that’s been open for at least 3 weeks, but which you think deserves attention, please add a comment using the template below and we’ll consider it during the next meeting.

  • Name/IRC nick:
  • Open PR URL:
2 Likes

Dang, I had hoped the trend of the community meeting being an hour later each time might continue!

At least it’s moved from 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM - if I get up really early maybe I can attend.

1 Like
  • Name/IRC nick: mettska
  • Topic: Text-Prediction for C2 and Community Ports
  • Some details about the topic: As far as I understand the text-prediction released for JP relies on Hunspell and not on proprietary parts anymore. Is this right? If yes will the text-prediction be released on C2, too? Would it be possible that even on community-ports it will be installable in the future?
  • Approx. time needed: 3min (simple question, simple answer probably, no big discussion needed)
  • Substitute (optional): -
1 Like

Name/IRC nick: sanginteret

Topic: Harbour: may a store app dlopen the system libavcodec (optional, no Requires) for H.264/AAC playback?
Some details about the topic:
I am preparing a new web browser for the Jolla Store. It bundles its own FFmpeg (VP9, AV1, Opus), built without H.264.

For H.264 and AAC i would like to use the system’s libavcodec.so.59. It is already required by gstreamer1.0-libav and thumbnaild, so it is part of every SFOS 5 install. The app would load it with dlopen at runtime: no RPM Requires, no linking. If the library is missing, H.264 is simply reported as unsupported to web pages.

Hardware decoding through droidmedia / gst-droid is not available to Harbour apps (correct me if I am wrong), and QtMultimedia cannot take Media Source Extensions streams (YouTube etc.), so the system libavcodec is the only way we see to play H.264 in the store version.

Questions:

  1. Would Harbour QA accept an optional dlopen of the system libavcodec?
  2. If not, could libavcodec / libavutil be added to allowed_libraries.conf? They have a versioned API/ABI (soname per major version).
  3. Is there any supported path for hardware video decoding (droidmedia / gst-droid) for Harbour apps, now or planned?

Approx. time needed: 10 minutes

Copied from last meeting questions as this was raised late.

  1. Name/IRC nick: CLMA31

  2. Topic: SailfishOS 5.3 and OP-mobiili

  3. Some details about the topic: As Jolla showed in Stockholm, you guys have done some magic and gotten Revolut to work! That is great and I was wondering have you also been able to get OP-mobiili to work with 5.3? Just asking, if yes I’m happy to wait for release. In case no, I might need to consider some rather quick moves to solve the problem on personal level.

  4. Approx. time needed: 1min, written answer is enough. No need to debate

  5. Substitute (optional): None, I might not be able to join, but written answer is all I’m looking at. Kiiitos ja anteeksi

5 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: usbee

  • Topic: Let’s conquer POS terminals!

  • Some details about the topic: Another broader topic. There are many Android powered POS (point of sale) terminals, they are ubiquitous among small businesses and shops. Supporting these devices and teaming up with the main players of the segment (e.g. Teya) could bring Sailfish OS a stable and sustainable market. Teya has it’s own app store on their devices and their own set of apps. Running them shouldn’t be an issue but in the long term promoting native app development using Qt and Silica could be a potential option there.

  • Approx. time needed: 10 minutes

  • Substitute (optional): -

1 Like