Community meeting on IRC 19th August 2021

Schedule: Thursday 19th August 2021 at 07:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx. time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)
  • Name: thigg

• topic:interaction hints in apps

• details topic: InteractionHints are a useful way to communicate to the user, what they can do. when triggered they show a text and highlight a component on the screen. However, there is no official documentation on them but many apps actually use them. Are there any plans to release them to the public soon?
    Untested Example: TouchInteractionHint used in Example for Sailfish UI programming in QML · GitHub

• time: 5 min

• dont know if i can make it, but feel free to discuss without me.

1 Like

Copying @not_just_a_username’s question from Community meeting on IRC 5th August 2021 - #5 by not_just_a_username

• Name / IRC nick: lqramen
  • topic: Long term viability of Xperia line & possible official port for other phone with long term support
  • some details about the topic:
    There have been some topic in the forum lately about stability of the official SFOS incl. Alien Dalvik, in particular the latest X10ii release. Various users express their frustration that using SFOS X as stable mobile device.

It appears that for each SFOSX release with a new Xperia phone there are alot of new bugs being introduced further adding to the instability of the general experience. We all aware that Jolla has limited resources SFOS public release is also balanced with other commerical commitments. However this raises the question why is there need for repeated rebuilds and rework for bugs for each Xperia release. By the time a release is stable the model of phone is difficult to obtain.

The discussion was raised about having another phone with a more stable hardware outlook as the baseline for a SFOS offical port. Fairphone was mentioned as a prospecive candidate as there is an unlocked bootloader has officaly support, hardware is stable (alebit not cutting edge) and has a long term stable outlook availability and spare parts etc… Community port for SFOS on Fairphone is also in highly working state.

• Given the limited and resources and hardware outlook for Xperia 10ii(i) what is Jollas plan going forth to provide a stable platform going forth.
  • Are phone outside Xperia line in the scope of Jolla to proivde offical support and sell licences ?
  • Link to forum discussion.
  • approx. time needed: 10-15 mins
  • optional: I will be present (maybe 9:30 CET)

P.S. It appears “Link to forum discussion” is missing

3 Likes

additional question: (formless because on mobile): is mpris usage going to be allowed in the official store soon? (referencing podqast)

I second that question. TBH, mpris support is still half-baked; e.g. Deezer can be paused, but not resumed from the lock screen controls.

2 Likes

Name / IRC nick: bfd_fr

topic: upcoming fixes/improvements

some details about the topic:

a) Safety of the usage of the device: some applications require the device to stay always on, not going into dark mode and lock screen, especially GPS/routing applications. Is it possible to add an “always on” button in the top menu?

b) On Xperia 10ii, the current OS version mentions that it is no possible to use a headset with a microphone on the jack connector. This is a huge annoyance, could you please fix is soon? Alternatively or additionally, can we connect a headset with microphone on the USB-C plug?

c) Is there a list of officially supported Bluetooth devices?

approx. time needed: 5-10min
optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)

I’ll do my best to connect, even though this will me my first time using IRC-like communication channel
Thanks to all the community

2 Likes

There is qml plugin for this Nemo QML Plugins Keepalive - Sailfish OS and most gps aplications use it.

1 Like

Apologies @thigg and @bfd, but your questions posted after Monday morning will need to be postponed to the next meeting.

Please understand that sailors (and your amazing questions involve several teams to be pinged) have limited time to prepare answers.
You can still raise them during General discussion, but it will depend who from the company is present and/or is able to answer this Thursday.

Totally understandable, thanks for notifying.
I am looking forward to joining the session anyway.

thanks for notifying and explaining. I am totally fine with postponing the question. stuff like that is not about speed but quality :slight_smile:

Cool to know that these work! I’m going to try implementing them in the projects I was hoping to make into tutorials.

// Chapter 5: First time use hints
TouchInteractionHint {
    id: hint
    Component.onCompleted: restart()
    interactionMode: TouchInteraction.Pull
    direction: TouchInteraction.Down
}
InteractionHintLabel {
    text: "Pull down to setup your account"
    opacity: hint.running ? 1.0 : 0.0
    Behavior on opacity { FadeAnimation {} }
    width: parent.width
    invert: true
}

Fun stuff.

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 19th August 2021
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-08-19-07.01.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

2 Likes