Community meeting on IRC 5th August 2021

Schedule: Thursday 5th August 2021 at 07:00am UTC (Check here for your local time)

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • indicate how much time you will need for the topic so we can time-box the meeting accordingly
  • please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic
  • if you can’t make the meeting please ask and then name a substitute who can in your place.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: Always ask for more time than you anticipate your topics needs!

Please try and have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting. This will help us have answers ready beforehand to save time. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic)

• Name / IRC nick:
  • topic:
  • some details about the topic:
  • approx. time needed:
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)
  • Name / IRC nick:ApBB
  • topic: Status of allowed APIs and restrictions to the store
  • some details about the topic: In the past there has been a discussion about all the things that are not allowed in the store and APIs needed. We also made a poll API Priority poll, take II to prioritize things. Is there any status update on that or parts of that. SFOS is held back by all these restrictions and the sooner we get rid of them the better for the end user.
  • approx. time needed: 10-15 mins
  • optional: in case i forget just answer the question.
4 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: EA3ICN
  • topic: Different bug patch release strategy for 10 II?
  • some details about the topic: Would it be possible to release bug fixes in smaller but more frequent batches in order not to wait for the full next release of the OS? Hot fixes seem to be the norm in other projects, is there a reason why these are not used in SFOS?
  • approx. time needed: 10 min
  • optional: I hope to be there, but if I end up forgetting, I’ll read the answer in the log afterwards!
3 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: tobset
  • topic:
    implement the fuctionality of ‘Personal Ringtones’ by coderus into Sailfish OS by default
    playing individual ringtones for specific contacts is a core functionality of a (smart)phone for at least 18 years.
    Since coderus stopped maintaining ‘Personal Ringtones’, no aarch64 support is in sight. (So my X10 II matches my old 6310…and we’re back in 2002 :wink:)

Use cases:

1. special ringtone for a very important person (e.g. my girlfriend)
  2. special ringtone for all of my family
  3. dto. for friends
  4. dto. for contacts from work
  5. silenced caller numbers e.g. of annoying advertisement calls

…so I recognize already by the ringtone of wich ‘category’ the caller is.

As a basic phone function it’s rather not …good…for a daily driver phone if it ceased to work as it should, just because of the latest SF OS update.
As analogy: another core function is add a search engine to the stock browser - this functionality finally found its way to one of the last Sailfish updates - after years of a crucial workaround by coderus, Jolla acted
… yes, just like that…consider the same here
(most dev’s will say: just find someone to maintain this project :roll_eyes:…but it’s a basic…so think about it)

• approx. time needed: 5 min
  • optional: name of substitute if you cannot make it to the upcoming meeting (and inform your substitute)
    → David Ll-J (@flypig) will be so kind, speaking up for me, if needed

Thanks for looking into it, thinking about it or even considering it…
Cheers
tobset

2 Likes
  • Name / IRC nick: lqramen
  • topic: Long term viability of Xperia X line & possible official port for other phone with long term support
    There have been some topic in the forum lately about stability of the official SFOS incl. Alien Dalvik, in particular the latest X10ii release. Various users express their frustration that using SFOS X as stable mobile device.

It appears that for each SFOSX release with a new Xperia phone there are alot of new bugs being introduced further adding to the instability of the general experience. We all aware that Jolla has limited resources SFOS public release is also balanced with other commerical commitments. However this raises the question why is there need for repeated rebuilds and rework for bugs for each Xperia release. By the time a release is stable the model of phone is difficult to obtain.

The discussion was raised about having another phone with a more stable hardware outlook as the baseline for a SFOS offical port. Fairphone was mentioned as a prospecive candidate as there is an unlocked bootloader has officaly support, hardware is stable (alebit not cutting edge) and has a long term stable outlook availability and spare parts etc… Community port for SFOS on Fairphone is also in highly working state.

• Given the limited and resources and hardware outlook for Xperia 10ii(i) what is Jollas plan going forth to provide a stable platform going forth.
  • Are phone outside Xperia line in the scope of Jolla to proivde offical support and sell licences ?
  • Link to forum discussion.
  • approx. time needed: 10-15 mins
  • optional: I will be present (maybe 9:30 CET)
1 Like

Your topic appeared after a cut-off time (3 days prior to meeting), thus we did not have time to prepare an answer. I’ll move it to next meeting

No problem. My fault, my wife was constantly pulling me away from my work laptop so I did not get time to submit.

My apologies to others whom I said I would bring this issue to the IRC meeting.

1 Like

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 5th August 2021
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2021/sailfishos-meeting.2021-08-05-07.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

2 Likes