Clipboard not working in Android Firefox

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always.
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16 Rokua
HARDWARE: Xperia X (F5121 and F5122)
UI LANGUAGE: English (US)
REGRESSION: Yes. The clipboard still works with Android Firefox Mobile 67.0.3

DESCRIPTION:

The Clipboard is not working in Android Firefox Mobile > 67.0.3 as in Firefox 68.10.1

PRECONDITIONS:

Xperia X (F5121 or F5122)
Sailfish OS 3.3.0.16 Rokua
Android Firefox Mobile 68.10.1

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open Firefox for Android
  2. Select some text
  3. Copy to clipboard
  4. Try to paste it into “Notes” or somewhere else

EXPECTED RESULT:

The copied text gets pasted.

ACTUAL RESULT:

No text gets pasted.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

It is yet possible to copy from other Android Apps (WhatsApp for example)

3 Likes

just tested on my XA2 with FF 79.0.5, and it works as expected (copy from FF, paste into email)

Thanks for the post. This is so far reproducible on Xperia 10 and we have created a bug report.

1 Like

This has been reported a while ago already. Even before SFOS 3. Guess it got lost on TJC.

@jiit: can you check if copying from the URL bar of Firefox works? I noticed that copying from there always works while selecting text and copying does only rarely (observed on Xperia X as well). Maybe this detail helps debugging the issue

From time to time ( 1.0 until 3.3 ) the clipboard is broken.

https://together.jolla.com/question/202609/xa2-ultra-h3213-android-clipboard-not-working/

It is “tracked by jolla”. Waiting for 3.4 or 3.5 or… who knows?

@rozgwi I think this has been reported more than once for different releases in the past and they all got fixed; but here we are again for some reason :grimacing:
You are right about the URL bar; copying works from there. You can even see a Firefox banner about it.

1 Like

I’ve actually used the Firefox URL bar behavior as a workaround: copy the text in web page, paste it to the URL bar, then copy it again. After the second copy, I can usually paste it to other applications.

1 Like

@jiit Thank you. Its just strange that the clipboard works with Android Firefox Mobile 67.0.3. I played with the clipboard settings in Firefox => about:config but still could not fix the behavior.

More often than not, clipboard is broken in Vivaldi browser. Copying a paragraph of text from a page contents usually trigger the bug :frowning:

Edit: Vivaldi displays a bubble that says that the copy to clipboard failed, for your convenience.

Edit 2: Actually, I can always copy from the URL bar, but (almost?) never from the page contents.

On SFOS 4.1 (Xpera XA2 Ultra) and Firefox 90.1.2 copy-paste doesn’t really work properly even within Firefox, not to mention to Sailfish applications. The other direction, from Sailfish to Firefox seems to work.

1 Like

On 3.4, if you clear the clipboard manually it doesn’t get synced with Android anymore. Copying to Android works fine, copying inside (e.g. Firefox to Signal) as well, but copying to Sailfish is fails. Restarting the Android support fixes it most of the time.

The clipboard is as broken in 4.2.0 EA… :frowning:

Tested in Vivaldi: copying text from a page fails, but from url field it succeedes.

1 Like

With SFOS 4.4.0 EA copying text from Vivaldi works now, and so does Firefox with SFOS 4.3.0. I guess this was solved in 4.3.0, so perhaps this thread could be marked as solved?

2 Likes

No, because it’s not working on an F5122 with 4.3.0.15

It’s not going to be fixed, because Xperia X is running older version of aliendalvik, and it’s not going to be updated anymore… :frowning:

Some very similar copy/paste issues seem to occasionally occur even with current releases (eg. 4.4.0.68 Vanha Rauma). It’d be lovely if they got fixed.

I observed the same thing, and as far as I remember this bug has always been there. In the old times it was hidden by other clipboard bugs maybe, but I can remember this one in particular and how subtly annoying it is. (In addition of the cursor position one, you see what I mean ?)
My theory is that android has a kind of formatted clipboard, for exemple when copying from a web page, and that kind of clipboard can’t pass to sailfish. Whereas pasting it in the adress bar transform it in simple text.