Clipboard functionality to and from Android apps

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: new

DESCRIPTION:

copying in a native app cannot be copied into an android app and vice versa, the clipboards are kept separate - if this is by design then it makes it hard to use the clipboard

PRECONDITIONS:

none

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Simply copy from native app and try to paste in android app

EXPECTED RESULT:

paste the last text copied regardless of app origin

ACTUAL RESULT:

pastes clipboard from android apps in adroid apps and native clipboard in native apps

MODIFICATIONS:

no

It’s certainly not by design, the clipboard should be shared between Android and Sailfish apps. I’ve just tested it myself and it seems to be working for me. Is it the copying that is broken, i.e. do you see the text in the keyboard suggestion bar but it won’t paste? Is pasting between android apps working? And SFOS apps?

1 Like

How do you paste? Long click on the editor in Android or keyboard clipboard button?

Thank you for your reply, it caused be to check the bug again and it was an android keyboard called fleksy that was not pasting into an android app which is the expected behavior since the keyboard does not exist outside of the virtualized android support. The native keyboard does copy/cut and paste to/from native and android apps.

the copied text is displayed on the top line of the keyboard on my setup

I’m not sure to understand.

You installed an android application called Fleksy. It’s a keyboard, right?
Once the keyboard is started, some text has been copied using Fleksy and you tried to paste the content in a native application?

So it’s not a bug, but a feature request.
Thank you in advance for your answer.

I think the subsequent messages are saying that the bug report is invalid. It could become a feature request, but as we don’t support android keyboards at all it’s going to be a low priority.

3 Likes

Just to keep things clean and tidy, I’ve moved this into the Feature Requests category, since it seems to be more appropriate there.

As I understand it, the feature request might be summarised as: “support for cut and paste between Android and Sailfish OS when using third party Android keyboards”.

If anyone thinks this is a mistake, please say and I can review it.