Change weather provider to yr.no for the default weather app

So, as some of you may know, last year Jolla stopped paying for Foreca’s license (supposedly, i don’t recall being confirmed) and as a result foreca stopped providing weather coverage for the default weather app

I have switched in the meantime, like probably most of you, to MeeCast which is a wonderful app and it does works with multiple providers. Unfortunately i can’t really get used to it, and despite being objectively better i would love to have the default app back

Considering the situation with foreca likely won’t be solved anytime soon, wouldn’t be better to just change the weather provider?for example to yr.no which is still finnish and free?

I know it has been asked already somewhere else but since it’s probably buried under tons of other posts i created this one to explicitly ask jolla to change weather provider, so we can see (and they can see) how many people would love to have the app back

5 Likes

yr.no is Norwegian, obviously. :wink:

6 Likes

And it is already paid by me (as a taxpayer).

12 Likes

Ahahah well my bad then

Are you saying sailfish does not apply to that?

In case you are not aware, @247, this topic was on the agenda in the latest community meeting:

https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2024/sailfishos-meeting.2024-02-15-08.00.log.html#l-69

08:16:27 <rainemak> #topic Restore Sailfish Weather  (5mins -- asked by cquence)
08:16:36 <rainemak> #info <cquence> Will the native Foreca Weather app be restored in the next
08:16:36 <rainemak> #info <cquence> release? Also are there any possibilities to use the native app
08:16:36 <rainemak> #info <cquence> with different configurable backends? User will have to provide
08:16:36 <rainemak> #info <cquence> their own key/credentials for paid services.
08:16:45 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Foreca Weather app is not restored to the next release. Having means
08:16:45 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> to use different backends is something that we’re thinking as well.
08:16:45 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> Community raised yr.no as plausible option and it would a good
08:16:45 <rainemak> #info <Jolla> candidate to check how feasible it’d really be.
6 Likes

I’m trying to switch Weather app to OpenWeather Api. I’m just making changes in app’s .qml files. I’ve completed switching ‘searching city’ screen to OpenWeather geo Api and started working on main screen (as far as I understood, data from this screen is going to weather system banner and indicator). IMO, It looks like it’s possible to patch Weather app .qml file to use OpenWeather Api, but I’m not a expert of qml and I don’t understand how some part of qml code is working((( Also don’t have an idea how to share these patches with other users and how they will apply this patches without pain))) I hope I will post about my result soon

4 Likes

No was not aware but thanks for pointing that out

C’mon they raised 10M€ and they don’t have a spare grand to pay foreca?

Just joking of course

Foreca is damn reliable in my area, but i guess also yr.no or openweather will suffice, so let’s hope it’s feasible to use one of them

Also, despite being a very frequent topic, i would say updating the weather app can also be done via an hotfix, not necessarily a major update (despite being the most requested thing in 2023 after volte) :stuck_out_tongue:

You can use patchmanager, it’s what it was made for:

3 Likes

I have converted the main weather screen to the OpenWeather Api. As I suspected, the banner and indicator also work. Still need to switch 5 days forecast screen. There are a few of my screens:

I think there is some issues with converting weather code from Foreca to OpenWeather, but for now for me it looks good.

13 Likes

Wow that is awesome, hope you can make a guide for doing that…

Was reading now that openweather gives free apis to opensource projects

Maybe it’s time to opensource the weather apb? xD

I’ve completed the task of transitioning the forecast to the OpenWeather API. Below are some screenshots of my work. Everything is functioning well. Here is the plan for the next phase of work::

1. Create a page to set the OpenWeather API token for API usage.
  2. Create a patch of my changes and share it using PatchManager.

P.S. I want to express my gratitude to my friend, Sergey Pekhteerau (https://siaroza.com/), who assisted me in creating the small OpenWeather icons. If you need help with design, he is the right person for the job.

20 Likes

I’ve all my nine years as a SFOS user gotten my weather information from having one window in the net browser stay open with yr.no.

What have I missed / what can I gain from rather using SFOS’s weather app?

1 Like

I like to envision this so that you’d not need to do any patches that one needs to apply via patchmanager rather you could contribute them back directly. More on the later – stay tuned. I’d warmly wish you to follow fortnight newsletter and community meeting logs.

That said, this is awesome stuff!! This community rocks!

15 Likes

The benefit of having one such integration is that you can have this in the notification view as well as on the lock screen.

2 Likes

Well, the general forecasts are normally of such a good quality that they don’t change substantially that often and need to be monitored from minute to minute. What really is of interest on a more short-term is yr.no’s live radar based graphical local precipitation warning for the next 90 minutes, and I believe no such stuff can be offered on the lock screen or in the notification view, anyhow.

Sure, don’t get me wrong. I also have a .desktop of a bookmark that leads to my favourite numerical forecast from meteo.pl.

1 Like

You’re Norwegian right? I have to give you that yr.no is good, but unfortunately good isn’t enough to keep our ‘precious’ weather app running in notification area or lock screen. :wink:
So if you are happy with an open web site, please stay with it. Me to have a bookmark to my area on yr.no, while not open 24/7.

3 Likes