Can't set new lock code

I’ve want to change 5-digit lock code to 8 digit, but new code is not accepted with message “new code must differ from old code” (5-digit code is subset of new 8-digit code), even if I first remove lock code or set another code
what can I do to make it forgot “old” codes, so I can set old one?

4 Likes

You could remove the lock code entirely and set the new one afterwards.
And I’d consider this a bug, I’m just imaginating the relevant piece of source code and start to grin :grin:
(Having written so many bugs of that calibre on my own, I mean …)

2 Likes

Removing code has no effect, new code is rejected if it has been used in past

remove the lock code entirely and set the new one afterwards

1 Like

Confirmed. This is a nasty bug! Now I can’t even return to my trusty old lock code! Would you please create a report in the Bug Reports category?

1 Like

What about using a (or even three) different lock codes before switching to the old one?

What about using a (or even three) different lock codes before switching to the old one?

not working, I have no luck to find out how deep “history” is or way to clear it

sadly it’s not a bug

2 Likes

That just does not make sense @Jolla.
This is our device! And if we like to use same code again why not, we are responsible. It is not that this device belongs to a SFOS domain and we are forced to follow your password rules, or are we?
I would even not like a warning as that means the (hopefully hashed) code history is still on device.
How many, how long is history?

@luxferre
I do second Maus and you should create a bug report!

4 Likes

@Jolla: I want to be able to use two lock codes. For example, I want to allow a family member use my phone for a short while, but I don’t want to hand out my lock code. Don’t impede me to do that!

2 Likes

Willing to tamper with this:
/usr/share/lipstick/devicelock/devicelock_settings.conf
Specially:
nemo\devicelock\code_remember_previous=1

Edit: This seems relevant:
https://together.jolla.com/question/164958/bug-21124-jolla-devicelock-too-many-attempts-stright-after-initial-reboot/

1 Like

thank you!
though “code_remember_previous=0” has no effect (was code remembered already?)
but resetting timestamp in “nemo\devicelock\code_last_changed” does the thing
p.s. please update your’s solution text

What is your “code_remember_previous" now? Did you reboot? Did you change it in recovery mode?
Right now, I don’t have a spare phone to mess up while testing stuff.

I was wrong, setting this value still don’t allow me to set code that was remembered and still remember codes
I’ve rebooted the UI, but behavior was the same, then I reboot device: no changes.
nemo\devicelock\code_remember_previous=0

Setting this timestamp to past (I set to 0) allows me to enter any code used in past, without reboot or restarting settings app
nemo\devicelock\code_last_changed=0

So now the lines look like this in my /usr/share/lipstick/devicelock/devicelock_settings.conf :
nemo\devicelock\code_remember_previous=0 nemo\devicelock\code_last_changed=1603632315
but I saw no effect of code_remember_previous=0

1 Like

Good timing, multi-user support was just introduced a few weeks ago!

That’s great finding! Can you mark this as the solution to your first post?

multi-user support: Hmm, for “me”, because o lacking Android support, not useful yet,…

I did factory reset on my J1, updated till 3.4.0.24.
Edited /usr/share/lipstick/devicelock/devicelock_settings.conf without rebooting in between, just closed settings.
Nevertheless, the file changed after that.
I figured this:

• The message is wrong, it states that the new code can’t be equal the current one, when it should say that it can’t be equal a previous one.
  • Each time you want to reuse a code, you have to reset “nemo\devicelock\code_last_changed”, as stated by @luxferre.
  • “nemo\devicelock\code_remember_previous” is completely ignored.