Can't access new screenshots via MTP taken during the MTP connection

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.68
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

Taking a screenshot with the phone in MTP mode results in empty file when accessed over MTP connection.

PRECONDITIONS:

• Phone
  • USB cable
  • Computer

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

• Take a screenshot
  • Connect the phone to computer with USB
  • Select media transfer mode (wait a bit)
  • Open the screenshot with the computer (this works)
  • Take another screenshot
  • Try to open the file with the computer

EXPECTED RESULT:

The screenshot opens normally.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The screenshot has size of 0 bytes and thus can’t be viewed. Refreshing the folder or visiting another folder and trying again doesn’t help.

The file is saved to the device correctly, though, and can be accessed only after reconnecting the cable and selecting MTP mode again.

MODIFICATIONS:

None

2 Likes

I get the same issue on my X10 II. Thank you for your bug report!

Thanks for reporting this @direc85 and for testing it @pherjung. I’ve created an internal bug report about it and tagged it here as “tracked”.

Can I please double check: does this only happen for screenshots, or does it also apply to other images (e.g. photos taken with the camera, images transferred via SSH while the MTP connection is active)?

1 Like

It’s the same with jolla-camera and harbour-advanced-camera.
Edit: I did some tests using the terminal and if I download a picture or a website with wget I get the same behaviour. But if i create a file like this:

echo "test one two" > test.txt

It works.

Thanks for the rapid answer @pherjung. So it applies to all new images (not just screenshots) but not to other filetypes… Interesting. I’ve updated our internal report with this info as well.

No! It’s not specific to pictures. If you download a .txt file from Internet you get the same behaviour. Currently I get a correct behaviour only if I use echo <text> > text.txt. If you do cat <downloaded txt file> > test.txt it doesn’t work.

Oh, I misunderstood, thanks for clarifying. So it depends on the means of creation? echo works fine but wget doesn’t?

Looks like, yes. If I get other working ways to create files, I’ll update this topic.

That’s even more curious. How strange! But it may well be useful for tracking down the underlying reason, so thanks for explaining things.