Camera improvements : the state of cameras on sailfish

@piggz , do you know?

I don’t think we could exceed quality of software processing that GCam already does. So it is probably worth trying that.
Also it would be awesome if someone could do comparison between Android and SFOS, I know it is hard because it requires 2 devices. Techview Podcast did it last for X10 Plus, and it wasn’t bad for photos, video suffered a bit more SailfishOS Podcast: Android vs SailfishOS - Camera comparison Xperia 10 Plus - YouTube
He is the best guy talking about SFOS on YouTube

1 Like

hello everybody, a friend of mine sent me an xa2 comparison long time ago, so here we are

1 this photo was shot at night (but with lot of light) with an xperia xa2 with sailfish

2 this photo was shot with an xperia xz premium which has a similar camera (and anyway my friend says the camera from the xa2 with android was exactly the same)

3 just for testing purposes the third photo has been made with a redmi budget phone, just to show how it outclasses sailfish quality

unfortunately this photo was sent to me via telegram as photo so no much to zoom…

my friend also sent me photos shot at night where they were completely green with jolla’s camera app and a bit better with advanced camera, althought i don’t know if it’s an exception or not…

as you can see sailfish camera is less than mediocre where (unfortunately) sony just does miracles for such a low end phone…

A few days ago I compared Xperia X (F5121) with SFOS 4.4.0.68 and one with Android, got exactly the same, fotos 1 and 2 in post #9. I’m going to replace a broken SFOS phone with an Android because of this (and use case)…

My husband had a yellow sphere on his XA2 with Sailfish. His pictures all had a yellow colouring. When he changed the spere to blue the colouring was gone.
I use Advanced Camera on my 10 III. Pictures are sharp, but pictures made inside are too dark.Low light photographing is a problem for years.

2 Likes

I’m wondering how much of this is device dependant. I did photos in caves (by definition, low light) and the Volla/GS290 did a pretty decent job. An example The big Thank You & Coffee thread - #31 by poetaster

1 Like

Another reason for Jolla to back the GS5 in future.

2 Likes

Can you clarify? I have XA2, XA2plus and, as written above X, all unusable in low-light condition (with SFOS, not with Android)… So, all the “same” hardware and driver?

Good picture indeed!

Sorry for bothering again, but I am curious to know if you have Sailfish on your GS290 or is it on Android?
Do some here have experience with the o.s. app ‘open camera’?

This is a picture taken with GS290 and Advanced Camera under daylight contitions.

This is a cut out of an original image, that has a much bigger view angle, but resolution / sharpness, color, contrast is not changed by me. Cutting was done with GIMP / Linux.
Distance abt. 150-200m, SFOS 4.4.0.64

Greetings from La Palma / Canary Islands!

1 Like

Looks good! Enjoy your holiday!

I only run SFOS, on a Volla and two GS290s. Also on the FP2 and a Jolla phone, although those are dormant at the moment.

Your photos look legit. My XA2 also sucks in low light and no amount of Photoshop is gonna fix those photos – so I doubt Android filters can do it either. The flash is also terrible and obliterates the shot.

So how does Android get decent low light photos on the same hardware? Is it getting better raw(?) data from the blobs?

1 Like

Does anyone know if both cameras are working on the Xperia 10 and/or 10 plus?
Perhaps there is also a way to test this but I don’t know. In case you know this please post it here.

On my side, both cameras work on Xperia 10 + Volla for still photos (very good! edit: quality, but not sensitivity), but both do not for video recording. Will say, the cam’s itself do work but on saving the recorded video file, both apps Advanced Camera and Jolla Camera crash on SFOS 4.4.0.68 on Sony and SFOS 4.4.0.64 on Volla.

2 Likes

Comparison of pictures taken with:

The last one is the best one;

3 Likes

So, to summarize:
SFOS, oversaturated
Lineage Stock, undersaturated.
Lineage ‘Simple Camera’ Balanced saturation. ?

I’ve noticed on the Volla/GS290 that the photos tend to be over-saturated, I happen to like that. I like to see the world through X colored glasses.

I just did a couple of tests (testing anyway for animations in Stopmotion, shameless plug). I have to admit, I’m not sure how helpful it is. Using:

1. The stock camera app
  2. In 'low light conditions (18:30, sun is down behind the house)
  3. All settings on auto (whitebalance, focus)

I produced on the 10ii

Which is brighter than the actual conditions and over saturated. Which is ok :slight_smile:

On the volla:

Also brighter than it should be and not as saturated. Closer to real, but a bit washed out.

To be frank, I’m not sure it says anything other than, depending on hardware and the software (more control in advanced camera), you get varying results.

I’ll take some really low light pics later.

1 Like

Quick, but before I flash SFOS on an android XA2, here a small comparison.
All auto.
I don’t know why android has a wider field.

XA2 stock cam:

XA2 Advanced Camera:

XA2 Android:

In low light conditions

XA2 stock cam:

XA2 Android:

1 Like