Buy Xperia 10 II or wait for Xperia 10 III

So, I am in the process of switching from android to sfos and I have a choise to make. Since the Xperia 10 III is out should I wait? I have no idea of how long porting time is from jolla and I can wait some months.

I know similar quentions have been asked, But I’d like to know your opinions.

The xperia 10 iii is not included in the open devices so there cant be a port. So if you want a SFOS phone buy a 10 ii.

2 Likes

OK, thanks a lot for the reply

FWIW, a ‘directory’ of Sony devices currently under AOSP;

https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality/

2 Likes

support for 10 iii seems to be worked on:

but not yet announced/supported, of course…

1 Like

Even if it gets added -which i am sure eventually it will- there is a huge amount of work needed to get it to run SFOS.

Related previous-data-based guesstimates on possible timeframes from another thread (Xperia 10 III support - #9 by Mazoon): 3 weeks from initial GitHub import to announcement of addition to Open Devices Program by Sony, first SFOS release 6-10 months after that.

3 Likes

The way I understood it, the Xperia 10 II took extra long because of the new Android base and the new architecture, but future devices should (comparatively) get Sailfish support a bit quicker.

4 Likes

Sony just announced adding Xperia 10 III to open device program.

https://developer.sony.com/posts/xperia-10-iii-added-to-sonys-open-devices-program/

6 Likes

As long as they do not change their behaviour regarding the usability of dual SIM and SD card, this is not an option (for me) and I would need to keep my XA2 plus, only/last one with this possibility?
(if I ever would switch to this huge glass bar slab!)

i agree with my XA2 plus with it’s 32GB only.
but since my X10 and especially my x10 II and it’s 128GB I disagree.

if ever the there is no more space I would transfer it to SD card or USB stick. But I think that will not happen.

For me SD card and dual SIM was relevant with JC, XA2, XA2 Plus. But now it’s obsolete

1 Like

Anybody wanting to sell her / his Sony Xperia 10 ii - Mint Green color ?

I am interested to buy it !

So, how does it looks like now?

I have a rare possibility to buy new Xperia 10 III at very good price. But I’m not happy with it running android. So, is official support for 10 III comes anytime soon? Should I buy it now?

Official support was already announced. Coming soon™.

If you’re willing to wait a few weeks, or a couple of months, and you have a good price now, then go for the X10 III, it’s better (bigger battery, better CPU, camera seems better).

Mine has been covering dust in a drawer for several months now, so much about “soon” :grin:

2 Likes

Remember, early 2022. According to Jolla’s calendar, we still have over 6 months left.

2 Likes

it’s still early 2022 till the end of June!

I got my Xperia 10 III in mid November (approx. €170 with a 2 year plan at €35 a month). I would love to flash it tonight, but I’m happy if I can have SFOS on it some time this summer, hopefully this side of Midsummer’s Eve :slight_smile:

I have bought the 10 III because the card slot of my XA2+ is broken. Not one SD card fits anymore. So waiting for the implementation of the 10 III.