Buy Xperia 10 II or wait for Xperia 10 III

So, I am in the process of switching from android to sfos and I have a choise to make. Since the Xperia 10 III is out should I wait? I have no idea of how long porting time is from jolla and I can wait some months.

I know similar quentions have been asked, But I’d like to know your opinions.

The xperia 10 iii is not included in the open devices so there cant be a port. So if you want a SFOS phone buy a 10 ii.

2 Likes

OK, thanks a lot for the reply

FWIW, a ‘directory’ of Sony devices currently under AOSP;

https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality/

2 Likes

support for 10 iii seems to be worked on:

but not yet announced/supported, of course…

1 Like

Even if it gets added -which i am sure eventually it will- there is a huge amount of work needed to get it to run SFOS.

Related previous-data-based guesstimates on possible timeframes from another thread (Xperia 10 III support - #9 by Mazoon): 3 weeks from initial GitHub import to announcement of addition to Open Devices Program by Sony, first SFOS release 6-10 months after that.

3 Likes

The way I understood it, the Xperia 10 II took extra long because of the new Android base and the new architecture, but future devices should (comparatively) get Sailfish support a bit quicker.

2 Likes

Sony just announced adding Xperia 10 III to open device program.

https://developer.sony.com/posts/xperia-10-iii-added-to-sonys-open-devices-program/

6 Likes

As long as they do not change their behaviour regarding the usability of dual SIM and SD card, this is not an option (for me) and I would need to keep my XA2 plus, only/last one with this possibility?
(if I ever would switch to this huge glass bar slab!)

i agree with my XA2 plus with it’s 32GB only.
but since my X10 and especially my x10 II and it’s 128GB I disagree.

if ever the there is no more space I would transfer it to SD card or USB stick. But I think that will not happen.

For me SD card and dual SIM was relevant with JC, XA2, XA2 Plus. But now it’s obsolete

1 Like