Browser redesign in Sailfish 4.2 feedback thread

Sailfish 4.2 got a big browser UI upgrade, and it is a bit of a mixed bag honestly.

The good:

• The new menu
    • Adds features and looks good while doing it
    • It gets the not-requiring-needlessly-precise-input paradigm pretty right, in that tapping elsewhere closes it and does nothing more
    • Swipe down to close would have been nice… i seem to recall seeing a commit message to that effect?
  • The new tab view
    • While not a huge improvement, it seems more in line of with where the design seems to be going
    • Seems to make better use of landscape mode :slight_smile:

The not-so-good:

• The new menu
    • Discoverability of that there are more options below the bottom just isn’t there
  • Cannot close tabs from the main view
    • Don’t people close tabs anymore? I do it all the time.
    • Adding a redundant “close menu” button where this used to be is just the UX design equivalent of a slap to the face
  • It is till possible to get stuck in private mode (in the open tab dialog which can’t be dismissed)

The strange:

• The bottom bar in the new tab view
    • Looks pretty bad and not in style
    • Is completely redundant in that it is on top of a page with fully working back gesture and pulley menu
    • It has a back button :scream:

Maybe i have built a bit of a reputation of being “chief Sailfish apologist”, but this is just too rough.
Just a quick lunch post, please contribute, and i’ll probably think of more things.

30 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet, but I have a quick tangent question - maybe I’m missing it in my quick scan of the release notes, but seems like there’s no update in web engine?

Ineed, no engine update. Just UI, but somehow it still manages to feel snappier. (Which is awesome)

3 Likes

I fully agree. The problem for the new menu scrolling: There is a scroll bar, but you can only see it - IMHO it is to thin - and it is shown after the scrolling. What about a - say some pixels thicker and in a color other than the menu and of course show it on opening the menu already?

4 Likes

Oh wow, yes there is. Stealthy!
If it had just not gone quite all the way to the top, and not been all the way to the edge, that would have been pretty helpful indeed. I was thinking some kind of graphical element where the menu docks to the toolbar would have been the solution, but maybe this is better if we just would have seen it more easily.

I agree with pretty much all of your points. I didn’t know the menu was scrollable until you mentioned it! And the close and back buttons are really weird. I’d rather have the private mode button at the bottom than the back button. It just feels redundant and inconsistent with the other apps. Furthermore the close menu button shouldn’t be there OR it should be where the open menu button was. Currently double tapping the menu button will reload the page. Instead it should just close the menu again imo. Also ideally you would have the new tab menu at the bottom of the tab list too, since scrolling up to open a new tab with the pulley is a bit more effort, while you usually are at the bottom of the tab list and the new tab button would then be redundant.

3 Likes

can someone post a few pictures for the ones who couldnt install EA yet?

this one has certainly got me before!

Thank you @attah for starting this thread. I’ve found that some of the design changes are good improvements, some are less good. Here is my opinion (sharing some points with yours):

The tab page

The new look is better in my opinion. But I have some concerns about minor details:

• On a small form factor device, like the JollaC, the tab preview are to big in height. I can only see two tabs. So I need to scroll a lot. It would be nicer maybe to calculate the preview height based on screen height, so three tabs are always visible. Even having something like Theme.itemHeightLarge would be more appropriate in my opinion.
  • One can gain some screen height by removing the bottom tool bar. It doesn’t bring anything. The + button is the first action of the pulley and the x one in the swipe back action.
  • Why using specific icons in this bottom toolbar ? In the rest of the OS, the button are round. Here they are squared. I guess it’s to go with the tab button from the main tool bar, but I find it more out of place than linking to this.
  • The page doesn’t open with the pulley menu visible, the page is actually a bit scrolled so the menu is not visible. This means that to use it, one has to scroll this bit amount up, then the menu appears but the scroll stop because we reach the top, and then one has to scroll up again to open the menu. A minor inconvenience.

The URL page

Thank you for the addition of the history button there, it’s very well done in my opinion. Natural and convenient.

The menu

Having it as a floating menu instead of a dedicated page is ok in my opinion. I find it a bit crowdy.

• the two top entries (new tab and new private tab) are redundant with the tab button. I guess it’s done on purpose, but it would gain clarity and simplicity without.
  • The “bookmark” and “history” entries are also redundant with tapping on the URL.

The setting page

Nice developments there. Thank you.

9 Likes

I have one small complaint, how the experience is degraded if you have a lot of tabs open.
Previously if you opened tab view, if you were let’s say on tab 10 of 20, it would open half down the tab list, with the tab you are viewing on screen.
But now it always opens at the beginning of the list, so you have to scroll down and search for the tab you are on.
This together with removal of close tab button makes the experience worse.
Otherwise the redesign looks really good, and seems quite snappy, just needs a few tweaks in my opinion.

10 Likes

Previously if you opened tab view, if you were let’s say on tab 10 of 20, it would open half down the tab list, with the tab you are viewing on screen.
But now it always opens at the beginning of the list, so you have to scroll down and search for the tab you are on.

That’s bad :frowning:
I haven’t upgraded yet, but saw the notes about rwmoved close button. Since that is the way I normally close tabs today, I didn’t agree to this change, but thought that I had to change my ways, to use the tab view. But with that view “broken”, I guess that’s not possible (I have a lot of tabs, 50+). This is a huge step backwards for UX, unless there’s another way to close current tab.

I can not confirm this. For me it always opens at the tab location (which usually is the very bottom of the list).

When opening the browser the address field is at the very top of the screen.
It is hard to reach it there to enter an address.

This would be great! Will wait for the release to be out of EA and I’d like to see the new layout too!

1 Like

I like the new menu and the new functions ‘save page as PDF’ and ‘Desktop version’. (The last is a little bit sticky in landscape mode)

Browser is (felt) much faster now!

Thank you much Jolla!

2 Likes

Edit of Bookmarks has a glitch.

4 Likes

Save to PDF and Desktop version functionality was present in earlier versions as well. It was just not written out, only icons, so harder to find.

1 Like

But with that view “broken”, I guess that’s not possible (I have a lot of tabs, 50+).

This was wrong. I thought that I might as well upgrade and now I can verify that tab view focuses on the active tab.

Discoverability of that there are more options below the bottom just isn’t there

Back to UX. This is just bad imho. Even after reading this thread and seeing screenshots of the two menu (normal and open) it took me some time to understand the functionality (but maybe I’m just stupid :crazy_face:)

As for closing the menu, I think tapping outside is ok but oftentimes too far away for how I’m holding the phone. Swipe down to close the menu would be such great addition and integrate well with both pull up to expand as well as swipe down to close the keyboard.

The new tab view is a bit too screen real estate hungry, even if it works on my Xperia, since its form factor handles it. And I’d still prefer pulleys over toolbars with buttons.

Small eye sore for me is that the back button (on the normal toolbar) and the forward button (on the menu toolbar) are misaligned. Also the alignment/grouping of the menu items is looking strange/off.

Overall I think the rework is ok.

1 Like