Bootloader unlock query

I’m trying to get a Sony Xperia 10 (dual sim) ready to install SailfishX, but checking the “Rooting status” is says “Bootloader unlock allowed when sim lock is unlocked” - does this mean I just need to get a sim (un)lock code to unlock the sim and then I can flash SailfishX onto it?

probably need to get sim unlock code, then go through boot loader unlock process - https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/ Then follow steps to flash SF

1 Like

Any recommendations for where to get the sim unlock code? Seem to be a bazillion sites on the web, but which ones are trustworthy?

you can usually just ask your carrier to unlock it for you for free, but it depends on your carrier/country.

1 Like

I used Unlock Ninja for a Samsung a few months ago, and it was successful, and their service and communication was good, and the price was way less than others, (I think under $20, but it took about a week.

Previously, I had used Onlineunlocker .com, and also successful, and quicker, but I think about $25 - $30, (also on a Samsung).

I have never had to sim-unlock a Sony, since I’ve always gotten them unlocked…

1 Like

Would be interesting to know which Telco device locked to as certainly from UK perspective always been a problem that carrier branded device(s) previously had locked bootloader. Should you wish to flash generic firmware be aware that Androxyde Flashtool does carry .fsc script for Xperia 10 I4113 Dual Sim https://github.com/Androxyde/devices/commit/f0cd180c85ac5092fa240e2935cf652ee416bc8f

2 Likes

It’s on EE Uk. I’ll go and try to get it unlocked.

1 Like

@dave.griffin

Did you manage to sort this out ?
I have an Xperia 10, locked to EE in the UK and am looking for advice.
Thanks.

Not as yet, no, if I do then I’ll let you know.

@steve_walsh @david.giffin
Have you looked at this application? https://nugsm.com/product/sony-xperia-cable-unlock-0-counter-supported/
Have just unlocked Xperia X on o2 where Bootloader unlock = No and surprise, surprise device now reads Bootloader unlock = YES (popped in Vodafone SIM before executing command = unlock)

For posterity purposes, I can confirm that a Voda Phone issued Xperia 10 ii (single SIM) was able to be flipped from “bootloader unlockable: no” to “yes” using the “SIM unlock” from the S1 network unlock tool and purchased credit. In two cases there were no issues with SIM registration after the fact, but always keep the backup created by the tool safe just in case. Both registered without an issue on the following USA carriers with data only SIMs: TMobile, Mint, Red Pocket. US Mobile will work if you can get them to issue a data only SIM, however, they are getting away from this. Both were able to be bootloader unlocked using the standard SONY opendevices process. PM me if you have questions.

For anyone who finds this and bought a phone on a UK or EU network, they are all obliged to now sell unlocked phones but also unlock your old phones with them for free. See Ofcom aligns UK’s locked mobile rules with EU regulations

So EE UK have a help page to unlock old handsets very quickly (as will other networks): Unlock an EE device to use with another network | Help | EE

We are no longer in the days where the networks were allowed to use locking as a retention gambit and you had to unlock using a variety of dodgy tools potentially laced with malware and/or costs.

US networks seem to be slightly different in that they still sell locked but will unlock their handsets for you if you’ve been with them for a short amount of time?
So you should always check if your network will do it for free IMO rather than using tools.

1 Like

A note of caution here as qUnlock S1 Unlock tool will change bootloader unlock allowed to YES provided that device has provider SIM lock in place; that free network unlock may mean that you can’t subsequently change "Bootloader unlock allowed = No to YES

Here is an example where software couldn’t work upon SIM unlocked device:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/unlock-bootloader-xperia-xa2/9952?u=aspergerguy

1 Like