[3.4.0 onwards] Bluetooth turning on doesn't work

I’ve tried systemctl restart systemd , but does not seem to be the correct command.

Could you share the actual command?

In my original post, just to read more deeply :wink:

In my case, the Xperia X dual SIM, it looks like this

when BT is off

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-02-18 15:44:56 CET; 21h ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 777 (bluetoothd)
   Memory: 1.3M
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─777 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n

feb 19 13:19:15 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Loading LTKs timed out for hci0
feb 19 13:19:15 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Loading LTKs timed out for hci0
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Failed to set mode: Not Powered (0x0f)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Failed to read advertising features: Unknown Command (0x01)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: hci0 Load Connection Parameters failed: Unknown Command (0x01)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Failed to get connections: Not Powered (0x0f)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Failed to set mode: Not Powered (0x0f)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Failed to read advertising features: Unknown Command (0x01)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: hci0 Load Connection Parameters failed: Unknown Command (0x01)
feb 19 13:24:00 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Failed to get connections: Not Powered (0x0f)

when BT is on

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2021-02-18 15:44:56 CET; 21h ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 777 (bluetoothd)
   Memory: 1.3M
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─777 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/bluetoothd -n

feb 19 13:19:08 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
feb 19 13:19:08 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
feb 19 13:19:08 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
feb 19 13:19:08 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint unregistered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
feb 19 13:19:12 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
feb 19 13:19:12 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
feb 19 13:19:12 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSource
feb 19 13:19:12 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Endpoint registered: sender=:1.42 path=/MediaEndpoint/A2DPSink
feb 19 13:19:15 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: bluetoothd[777]: Loading LTKs timed out for hci0
feb 19 13:19:15 Sailfish bluetoothd[777]: Loading LTKs timed out for hci0

Sending contacts from the People app to another device (Gemini PDA) via BT works.
Sending a file from the File Browser to the same device does not work.

1 Like

I’ve tried that also, but thought that you meant something more stronger/harder, because I reboot doesn’t help either.

It looks like I’m enjoying another issue with the same effects…

Thank you all for the detailed info about this problem. We have a bug report now.

3 Likes

Came here to see if somebody else is experiencing this after Koli update, was not disappointed :wink:

Restarting the BT service on my Xperia X doesn’t work (same RFKILL messages) but restarting the device makes BT work once; after a disconnect or toggling BT on/off it gets stuck and won’t budge until restart.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem after upgrading to SFOS 4 (Koli). Bluetooth works fine once, then gets stuck after trying to enable it a second time. Only rebooting resolves the issue. Using an Xperia X and everything worked as ist should before the upgrade.

I also have the exactly same problem in two XPERIA X (single and double SIM). Bluetooth works once. After disconnecting the headphones they cannot be reconnected. Only rebooting helps – but also not always. The headphones work perfectly with other devices.

I have noticed the same problem with my Xpreria X. Bluetooth used to work like a charm, but now only once and reboot needed to (maybe) have it work again. Got headphones with a cable as a “workaround”.

1 Like

Restarting the bluetooth service (bluez) is only half the solution and for me does not fix the issue when it occurs (on XA2). I also need to restart bluebinder.service for bluetooth to work again.

So I found out is has to do something with bluetooth.service as well as bluetooth-rfkill-event.service. After bluetooth fails to work when trying to enable it the second time, I did the following:

1. Killed the bluetooth-rfkill.service
  2. Restarted bluetooth.service
  3. Restarted bluetooth-rfkill.service
  4. Turned on bluetooth via Settings as usual. And the it works again (for one time :)).
4 Likes

The service to kill on my phone is called bluetooth-rfkill-event.service

sorry, i dont read all thread, but with same problem restarting bluebinder helps me

devel-su
systemctl restart bluebinder

I do not exactly know at which version it changed.

But on 3.2 a
devel-su systemctl restart bluetooth bluebinder
works.

On 4.0 I guess then a
devel-su restart bluetooth bluetooth-rfkill-event
should do the trick as well?

1 Like

on 4.0 i already has this bag, and restarting bluebinder works well

2 Likes

Yes.

Checked on different devices.

bluebinder is only present on devices with Android runtime installed

So something above is true :slight_smile:

maybe then?
devel-su restart bluetooth bluetooth-rfkill-event bluebinder

Could someone at Jolla add this bluetooth reset to the Jolla Utilities? That would be super useful.

And an Android on/off switch for the events view? Thank you ;-p

2 Likes

I think the best way is to make sure it works the right way without ever having the need to restart the service in the first place.

Yes I have this problem addition to loosing wlan and mobile network regularly. Irritating problem when you rely being reachable but the phone has dropped silently out of all connections.

1 Like

Are there users with an Xperia 10 experiencing the same issue or is it restricted to X, XA2 ?

I may have a similar problem with Xperia 10. I have just discovered this thread and actually thought my issue was linked to the “Situations” application.
During the night, the situations application turns the ‘flight mode on’ on my phone, and in the morning, maybe in 20-25% of cases, when the application puts the flight mode off, bluetooth is not back and is impossible to turn on. I am using the application for ages and this is quite recent (some months…) even though I cannot remember when and which SFOS or Situations update triggered it.

When I have the problem, I usually deactivate the ‘situations’ application and reboot. Then I reactivate “situations” and all is fine for some days. The issue never happens during the day even though I am usually connected to a pebble watch all day long.
I can try to restart bluetooth services next time it happens to see if it solves my issue.