Bluetooth audio level

The thing is though it doesn’t happen on all devices. My earbuds work fine but the car i connect it to has the low volume issue.

Well maybe it is codec related. I have very poor volume with my Jabra Evolve 75 headphone (Bluetooth 4.0 or 4.2, A2DP (V1.2), Hands Free Profile (V1.6), Headset Profile (V1.2), AGHFP (V1.6)).

I also have the same problems with Bose Soundlink Mini II (supports HFP, A2DP, AVRCP, BLE profiles)…

Does this help to find reason?

My Jabra Evolve 75 works alright on my X2+, I can’t complain about the volume.

I only miss the chance to accept, reject or terminate calls from the headset, but this seems to be an issue with all BT headsets on Sailfish

Hey jollajo - wow, that sounds interesting! Do you also have SF 3.4.0.24 installed? Can you still hear music comfortably when turned up to 50%?
I guess this is not an AlienDalvik issue, since the sailfish promo video (showing a guy walking through winter scenery) is also very low…
Is there any hidden parameter in the system to be tuned apart from the standard volume setting? I don’t get any volume warning when turning up on a bluetooth device - is this normal?

Do you also have SF 3.4.0.24 installed?

Yes

Can you still hear music comfortably when turned up to 50%?

I can’t see a change of behaviour that depends on the volume.
I also don’t see anything special about AlienDalvik and BT-Audio.
Haven’t done anything special on the phone and also don’t get the volume warning.

What’s special with this headset, if it’s connected to the PC with the USB dongle and the phone, the phone cannot start audio playback. It seems to start for a second and stops again. This happens on native and on Android apps. It seems to me that the headset does not pick up the audio stream (in time) and the phone aborts playback in return.
This doesn’t happen if the headset is only connected to the pone.

Pairing only the phone doesn’t have an impact on that. Always poor volume…

Asking you for 50% volume was ment to be a “benchmark”: With normal wired headphones 50% is normal for convenient listening. With bluetooth headphones 50% is by far too poor.

Well my benchmark is whether I can increase the volume to the maximum level I would like to have. Just checked my ‘standard’ beat-disco mix. Maximum volume was just below the maximum level I can stand. My other BT in-ears are a bit louder, however it’s still alright for me.

I can’t imagine that’s it’s healthy to listen to audio at the given maximum level. So I can’t see an issue in my setup.

Ok, anyhow. My bluetooth 100% volume is on a very inacceptable low level. Is there any idea of how to solve this out there? Will Jolla work on this (it’s not a new issue. I had exactly the same problem with SF3.3)?

2 Likes

Still no improvement with 4.1 on XA2. I have to use full volume of my car audio system and the phone to be hardly able to make a call or stream music or podcasts.

2 Likes

The main question is, where is the audio mixer of SFOS? and where are the level settings of this mixer?
If we would know this, there should be no problem to modify this level settings and increase volume of Bluetooth audio devices.

I assume its pulseaudio that is handling everything. I don’t think there is a GUI for it. And even if you want to use/compile the GTK ones i assume you cant.

1 Like

I hope to find some clear text config file for this mixer, where the level settings are and if I find something, to modify those settings by editor (as devel-su). I will report here if I find something. @ApB: Thank you for the ‘pulseaudio’ hint!

1 Like

I also have freebuds 3, paired on my Xperia 10ii.
And experience the low volume issue when trying to listen to any media content (music, video, recording, streaming video etc).

This MUST be a missing codec issue, since the same BT earpieces work perfectly fine when making calls. The volume on freebuds 3 while in calls is loud and clear.

I hope this will be solved in the final 4.1 version!

1 Like

This issue seems to be fixed with 4.1. At least with a 10 ii.

1 Like

But not fixed with 4.1 on an XA2. I still have audio levels that are so quiet it is impossible to hear the voice on the other end of a phone call clearly when the phone is connected to the car - and no way to turn it up to a usable level. Volume on the phone and the car are maxed out, but still way too quiet.

I think I encounter the low volume as well with Sony’s LinkBuds on Xperia 10 II, SFOS 4.4.

Did not try, but i think in the context of this bug perhaps this reply and possible solution should be linked here with the bug report as well:

Ok, I tested around a little on this Issue. I have my LinkBuds coupled with my Notebook as well. The System-Audio Slider on the computer seems to influence the “internal” Volume of the LinkBuds. (pacmd list-sinks gives a left and right volume value)

When I hear some audio on the Notebook, around 30 % “system loudness” is enough most of the time. When I use it then on Sailfish, the LinkBuds are much to silent and the “internal volume” of the LinkBuds seems not to be influenced by Sailfish.

I have much higher volume with Sailfish, if i turn up the “system loudness” on my Notebook with connected LinkBuds to 100% before connecting them to Sailfish again. That solves the issue of low loudness.

So what we need is either to turn up the internal volume of the devices on connection to 100% or adjust the BT device volume with the volume slider. The LinkBuds for example do not have a possibility to adjust the volume directly at the device.

3 Likes

Maybe this should be a separate bug report or go to the first post. Currently its likely this information is lost, when someone looks at the report. @ApB

As long as there is nothing built in the OS, i wrote a little app to adjust the BT devices “internal volume”. Details: Low volume on Bluetooth headphones? Try this - #2 by fridlmue

2 Likes

Also on my device 10 II, low bluetooth volume. With different bluetooth recievers.

1 Like