Bluetooth and Radiosat (Renault handsfree set): regression in connection

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 50%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

After the latest update (3.4.0.24) the connection with my handsfree set (Renault Radiosat) got much worse. It was already buggy before. This didn’t get any better.

But now also the phone connection is broken. The phone connects in most cases (and e.g. shows the symbol for connection quality of the mobile connection of the phone). It’s also possible to select a contact in the car (which wouldn’t be the case, if there was no connection at all), but I can’t dial a number. Nothing happens, when I click on a contact in the handsfree set.

Also incoming calls don’t get forwarded to the handsfree set. The phone is ringing instead of the handsfree set.

It seems that pulseaudio is in a more broken state than before and audiorouting issues are not only affecting media streams but also phone streams.

I tried to reconnect the phone with the handsfree set, but I didn’t manage to achieve this yet. Maybe this is also broken.
I deleted the content of /var/lib/bluetooth and deleted all devices on the Radiosat. They are not able to find each other anymore.

PRECONDITIONS:

Xperia X with 3.4.0.24, Renault Scenic III with Radiosat

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Have phone and carkit connected
  2. try to make a phone call
    or
  3. try to pickup a phone call

EXPECTED RESULT:

be able to make and receive phone calls via handsfree set in 95% of the time.

ACTUAL RESULT:

It’s not possible to start a phonecall

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

What would be relevant here? How do I debug the bluetooth connection or the pulseaudio routing?

1 Like

Ok, I figured out now, how to reproduce the connection problems:

The problem is, that the interaction between phone and carkit breaks. It breaks, when you e.g. try to initiate or receive a call via carkit, before the media connection is established. My carkit (Renault Scenic III “My_Radiosat”) only establishes a media connection, when you select the External Media Mode (There are 3 modes “Radio”, “CD” and “External Media”, latter stands for USB or Bluetooth).

So the following situation works fine and more reliable than on previous versions of SFOS:

• BT is turned on on the phone
  • start carkit in media mode
  • wait till both connections (phone and media) are established
  • make a phone call, play music, etc. everything works fine

This scenario won’t work:

• BT is turned on on the phone
  • start carkit in radio mode
  • wait till phone connection is established
  • make a phone call… the phone won’t react
  • even if you establish media connection now, the audio stream may get routed to car speakers, but you can’t skip songs, play/pause, etc. also phone connection won’t recover
1 Like

Any news with this? This is critical functionality.

I tried to play with it and the outcome is the following.
Phone connects with Carminat TomTom Live automatically. Car kit properly display signal strength. There’s no access to the phone phone-book.

• calling doesn’t work - Carminat is freezing then
  • receiving calls doesn’t work
  • music playback doesn’t work
  • controlling music playback won’t work
    I’ve been able to get working: music playback, receiving calls, making calls but only using phone.Controlling music playback from the car kit works. Making phone call using car kit works in the sens that the call is made but it’s disconnected just after making connection.

The steps to get it working to that state is:
after phone gets connected with car kit, switch carminat to music playback from phone. Play some music. Nothing will be heard but the music will be played, in the phone, go to settings > bluetooth and disconnect car kit and connect right away. Now suddenly music will be played from the car kit. From now on, everything will be working. Even after switching car kit to different audio source.

There’s of course still the problem with dual sim. When Sim settings is “always ask” it’s picking up random sim to make a call when using car kit. This is a no go also and it’s related to this:

I have the logs from bt, ofono, etc. please someone from @Jolla contact me so I can share it. I think I removed all personal data, but better safe than sorry.

Any info with this one? LineageOS works without problems, maybe someone could see where’s the problem?

@Jolla is there anything I can help with except of some logs etc?
With Lineageos 18.1 there’s no problem, everything works, even phonebook access! They seem to also use bluez if I’m not wrong. Maybe someone else have some ideas what I can try?

=================
Update 03.04.2023:
I did some more playing with it and I could get it somehow working.
The steps:

• remove the /var/lib/bluetooth directory
  • reboot the phone
  • after reboot pair using bluetoothctl (really?)
  • once done we need to switch to music playback on Carminat and check if we can play some music from the phone. If not, turn off Carminat and pair again, this time from SFOS gui. We try this as long as we won’t be able to play the music from the phone.
  • Once we got music playback from the phone on the car speakers, we will be able to receive calls, make calls etc through the car audio but there won’t be access to the phonebook from Carminat.

So based on the above the phonebook access is not important but regarding the rest, I consider that the BT functionality of SFOS against Carminat is still broken. Cause the steps required to make it working are overkill for everyday usage.

@vige can we do something with this? Is this bug even tracked? Can I help somehow?

No, it’s not. Before I add it to our internal tracker, I’d like to know if you still have the bug on the latest Sailfish OS version, i.e. 4.5.0.19?

Yes, you can. You can provide logs. Now, unfortunately we don’t yet have instructions on how to gather Bluetooth logs. But the good news is that the instructions are almost ready, I’ll let you know as soon as we have published them. Or, if you don’t want to wait, the PR is already there:

1 Like

Need to update first, I’m on 4.5.0.18 right now, the problem was also visible on previous version. I doubt it will be fine with 4.5.0.19 but I’ll check this out for sure.

I’ll see what I can do as right now it’s a bit cold outside :wink: Will provide the logs here as soon as possible.

Thanks! I share your doubt, but indeed it’s better to check to be sure.

And now we have the instructions published: Collect Bluetooth Logs | Sailfish OS Documentation :slight_smile: