Beta VoLTE on the Xperia 10 III, disabled by default

About the flashing process… The flashing-README.txt says that “During the flashing process you will be asked to download the required image” but this is only true for the flash-on-windows.bat file, which tells you the firmware description if the blob is missing. This is not the case for flash.sh for Linux. And neither of them provide the full filename or MD5 sum of the file…! I am quite certain this is the case for other Sailfish X packages as well.

No, wait. Now that I dig the files further, there’s a link to the Sailfish X install help page in flash-on-windows.bat file, but on in flash.sh nor in flashing-README.txt. The page tells me the filename, finally. And actually, there seems to be a link on Jolla Shop front page, but it’s quite well out of sight between the device links and frequently asked questions; I only found it there just now. To me, a link that has a text “here” doesn’t really convey the importance of it.

Could you please at least add the link in the readme file in the downloaded packages, and make the installation instructions link stand out in the page? Thanks!

Now, onto flashing…

@flypig A question. Can VoLTE be used on ported/community devices?

4 Likes

I kept on getting this error message:

<< getvar:secure     FAILED (remote: 'GetVar Variable Not found')

I had updated my X10III to Android 12, so I thought it was that, but using Emma to flash Android 11 didn’t help. Disabling autosuspend with powertop didn’t help; I had to disable autosuspend altogether:

echo -1 > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend`

Now the flashing proceeds as expected, and I’m at the “Ahoj!” screen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Has anyone tried it on the US by chance?

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer I’m afraid, I’ll try to find out and let you know. However my understanding is that different devices require different VoLTE implementations, so the question is more complicated than it sounds.

In case you don’t get an answer here, I’d suggest keeping an eye on the provider list in case something shows up there (nothing for the US yet I’m afraid).

My understanding is that the packages are device-specific, so they wouldn’t work I’m afraid.

Thanks for highlighting this, but your message will get a bit drowned out here. We’re always looking to make the instructions easier, so if there’s some improvements to be made, would you mind creating a separate thread to discuss it further, or ping me privately so I can get the full details?

3 Likes

Works perfectly in the UK :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great! Please add your provide to the wiki if you’ve not already!

Where is VoLTE in the user interface?

This is the VoLTE Status Checker app from OpenRepos.net

5 Likes

Seems sometimes i’m not able to use mobile date while VoLTE is enabled, anyone else experiences this behaviour?

Update:

I don’t have access to the internet using mobile data when restarting the phone. Disabling and enabling VoLTE fixes this. Have to check how it is after calls, airplane mode etc.

When I’m using VOLTE I hear no ringtone during call. It connects very fast but silently.
Is this issue known?

Ringtone is a bit of a problematic term since it has a more common use…
You mean the ringing tone or ringback tone, right? In that case i have the same thing.

@attah
Yes, the ringing tone…

I am just curious, if the implementation will become open source? I only found https://github.com/sailfishos-mirror/sofia-sip from one year ago - is this actually used?
(I am mainly interested because I am myself a SIP developer)

1 Like

I’m guessing no - it is not installed on my 10 III. Wonder what is used then…

I would guess, that it utilizes the Qualcomm IMS Android blobs (and by doing so maybe a lot of IMS on the Modem). Which could also explain the very fast implementation and the already very high implementation quality, as I think a total re-implementation of the Protocol in a SW stack would have needed much more time and resources.

1 Like

Looks like it is using packages modem_auto_config and ofono-vendor-qti-radio-plugin. Those with 10 III, check what are the corresponding licenses using zypper licenses, for example. That would print out all of them, not sure how to restrict to a single package.

Reference: patterns: Add VoLTE enablers to adaptation pattern. · mer-hybris/droid-config-sony-lena@0676b68 · GitHub

2 Likes

In case it helps: @cyberlyra has now added a row for T-Mobile US to the VoLTE provider wiki (see also their related comment on a separate thread).

3 Likes