we all know the problem, our browser, especially the native outdated default browser is almost unusable.
Funnily I was usually mostly using this browser as I had even more problems with the native webkit browsers.
But more and more paiges now started to lock me out and tell me my browser is too old.
And since the cookie popups are very often so dumb made that buttons are not even on the visible screen anymore I am forced to search for an alternative.
So here is my list maybe we can find the best one together and help others finding an alternative till the default browser gets it’s update somewhen soon ™.
- default native browser (Gecko based - heavily outdated)
- webpirate (webkit based, great options/functionality, I think no addons?, I have many problems on pages - don’t know why)
- webcat (webkit based, great options/functionality, I think no addons?, I have many problems on pages - don’t know why)
- Icecatmobile [Android] via F-Droid (Gecko based - newer engine but also now outdated, can use firefox add ons, but only a reduced number)
- Firefox [Android] (the main app was in the past too big/fat/slow and crashed often, don’t know how it is now, and functionality issues with the latest version check YT video of Firefox Android https://youtu.be/63q7nUYP9Ss )
- Fennec [Android] via F-Droid (up to date Gecko engine incl. most important Add Ons, feels lightweight, starts fast)
So far I’m currently stuck with Fennec as my main browser as I could not find any disadvantaged (apart from Android of course)
Is Fennec acceptable? Wasn’t there some privacy Issue with it in the past? I’m not so sure, but the performance pulls me currently towards it.
Which do you use? I personally would preferr a native Gecko based browser…