Battery drain on XA2 when not in flight mode

Here, setting on ‘prefer 4G’ but mobile data not enabled.

1 Like

No, it’s regardless of data being enabled or not. Simply connected using 4G is causing considerable drain on my XA2, but not on 2G.

Here’s what I got for the night, with flight mode and Wifi enabled:

It’s weird that the second part of the night it used more current, but it only 10% of battery during the whole night, so it’s probably not that bad.

I used to recall testing flight mode with Wifi enabled and I believed it used more battery (something like >50% during the night), so I don’t know how reliable it is. But that was with Android App support enabled, so perhaps the combination of Wifi + Android App support takes more battery? (The only Android apps I have installed for now are Aptoid and F-droid).

Do you think that there are some Android support udev rules that could cause the battery drain? If so, would those rules be removed if I uninstall Android support?

I would say, not 100% sure, that uninstalling App Support is not necessary. Having it stopped should be enough.

Comparing battery percentages is not the best imo. Consumption in mA/h is much more precise as batteries states, ages, capacities can be different between devices.
E.g. A case where an old battery is consumed by 10% in one night. If replaced by a new battery, say, with 4 x more capscity, it will lose only 2.5% in the same night.
the average consumption on your graph is 30mA/h. Approx the double than mine. This would indicate we have the same consumption + approx 15mA/h for your wifi.
I’d say this could be realististic.

In your case, you had disabled flight mode, right? In my case, flight mode was enabled, so we cannot really compare. If so, it would be better that I show the graph with the same settings. Did you have wifi enabled?

Comsumption seemed much higher when I was not in flight mode.

Oh, yes, right. I was reversed. No flight mode, no wifi.

I can second this. I have it set to 2g and with Situations have it automatically switch to 4g only if I enable mobile data. Otherwise the battery drains far too quickly.

It seems a little bit better on 2G:

But it still seems to have a much worse consumption than before the issue happened.

@ric9k: I’ll try with 4G enabled, flight mode disabled and wifi disabled.

The minimal consumption average I can reach is 12mA/h with no Wifi and flight mode. As base reference:

Do you execute custom commands to turn off/on 4G?

Nope, I just set it with situations

I forgot to turn off the Wifi last night, so I got the graph with 4G and wifi enabled:

It uses the battery much more.

I’m disabling Wifi now.

Btw, I plan to try older versions of SailfishOS, first to get back to a version where I didn’t have these issues (if it’s possible), and second, to try to understand what caused this regression.
I found this GitHub repo, but I’m not sure if it’s legit.
Is there any official way to download an older version? (I was thinking: since there are a lot of point releases, maybe there’s a way.)

Thanks for your help!

So, I tried with older versions of SailfishOS (that I’m fairly sure did not have the battery drain issue back when I was using them) and still have the issue, so it’s unlikely to be a regression.

The only other thing I know that I changed is my SIM card: I used to have a SIM card without VoLTE support and now I use a SIM card with VoLTE support.
I guess that could be the issue since disabling 4G helps reducing the battery drain.
What are your thoughts on this?

@ric9k: You seem to not have this battery drain issue. Can you tell me whether your SIM card support VoLTE?

@Fuzzillogic @Matias: Since you have this battery drain issue, I wonder if you have a SIM card with VoLTE support.

It would seem my carrier allows reusing an old SIM card, so I might buy a second plan to confirm this theory.

Thanks for your help.

I reckon my sim is new enough for VoLTE, but I’m not sure if there is such thing as a “VoLTE-enabled sim”. From what I’ve read the drain on 4G could be caused by a bad configuration on the provider’s end. I haven’t asked them yet, as I fear to have to go through a whole lot of silly and pointless questions…

I did try resetting the APN. Some APNs allow full internet access to your phone, and the numerous port scans and SSH login attempts on the wild web wake up the phone a lot. There but given that the problem also occurs without data enabled, that can’t be the cause in this case.

Pretty sure my provider supports VoLTE but I don’t know any more than that

Sorry, no, I have no idea.

But looking again at your graph: the average consumption is 85mAh.
The XA2 battery is 3200mAh. Let’s say 3000.
3000/85 = 35 hours. Let’s say 25 hours, not to ruin the battery by emptying it too much.
Does your phone hold so long with this setup?
If not, is the battery perhaps becoming to old?

I used LineageOS (an Android distribution) and the battery would last +7 days, so the battery is still good.

So, I got the logs of ofono with 4G enabled and with 2G. There are much more logs with 4G.
The logs with 4G contains a lot of these:

Can't parse modem-handled proactive command

I tried with the most recent ofono from upstream and it cannot parse the input either, so I’m assuming the data is just plain wrong.

Does any of you have this error in their ofono logs?

I’m not sure yet where the input comes from and if we have control over it, but I’ll continue my investigation.

Since you don’t seem to have the issue, could you please tell me how frequent you see lines added to the ofono logs while the phone is not in use?
With 4G enabled, I have a few dozens every minute, while with 2G, it I see 10-20 minutes between 2 log lines.

I would have with pleasure but I just broke my XA2 2 days ago. I’ll try to think of it next week when back home on my wive’s one.
Do you see that with journalctl?

Thanks, but that won’t be necessary for now since I made some progress:

I was able to reduce battery drain by about 2x by resetting the APN and disabling the Android Support (not sure if both of them were necessary, but they seemed required to reduce the log output of ofono).
(I’m going to have to figure out whether I badly configured the APN, since the default is not the good one.)

I’ll continue my investigation as I’m seeing some wlan activity with lots of suspends and resumes, so I might ask you for some logs at some point to compare.