Bank app from Android is still redirecting to web site saying that the phone is rooted

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): allways
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): x10 II
UI LANGUAGE: english
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): was working in sfos 3 with a XA2 phone

DESCRIPTION: the bank app Merkurbank in 4.3 still says that the phone is rooted

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. download bank app merkurbank from aurora store
  2. open the app
  3. redirect to a website where says that the phone is rooted

EXPECTED RESULT: the app should open normally

ACTUAL RESULT: the app doesnt open

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

3 Likes

Hi, i had exactly the same problem with SecureGo plus app on the Xperia 10 iii.
In my case the problem is resolved by the update from 4.4.0.64 to 4.4.0.68.
Cheers…

1 Like

Hi - i also hat the same issue with DKB TAN2Go App in Germany. I installed FakeStore und microG on 4.4.0.64 - but did not get it running.

After your message i tried it on 4.4.0.68 - and its working.
I am not shure if the app itself did modify anything or if the android stuff on sailfish did change… Hope it will work for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I understand the root cause got fixed when S-bank problem got fixed. So that fix should help with many apps. Thus, I recommend to update to 4.4.0.68.

// Update: Fixed the link

1 Like

Which s-bank problem do you mean - the link goes to the main page

I’m not sure, what link @rainemak wanted to post, but there are several posts for non-functional “secure apps”/“banking apps” on this forum. See here.

And I can confirm, that previously non-functional “secure” app now works with microG an 4.4.0.68

Ah, the link had double brackets around the first link. Hence, it didn’t work. Fixed it.

Has there been an update in the android part of sailfish? - the release notes did not mention any change.

Would be nice to know if sailfish did implement a fixx or the apps had updates in their routine?!

The S-Pankki is mentioned in the change log and release notes. You cannot really claim all issues fixed until those are verified i.e. it is possible that some apps still misbehave. That said, this fix should improve quite many cases. That’s at least my working assumption.

Somewhere in the release notes for 4.3 there was a mention about a fix for apps reporting a “rooted device”. Maybe that fix did not work for all apps and the fix was gradually improved with every release until 4.4.0.68 without an extra mentioning? I’m pretty sure, that it’s not the apps themselves that changed, but a fix with 4.4.0.68 that finally made them work.

Hmm … Not sure about that. The Santander mobile banking app started working after Jolla introduced signed Android images, but since 4.4.0.64 it no longer works again and complains that the device is rooted and/or the bootloader is unlocked.

I don’t know if it is not working because of a further change on the Jolla side, or because Santander has beefed up the security requirements of its app - in other words for the latter the timing is just coincidental.

But did you try with 4.4.0.68? I can’t really tell, if my banking app worked with some release between 4.3.x.x and 4.4.0.64. It definitely did not work before 4.3.x.x, did not work with at least one 4.3.x.x release and did not work with any 4.4.x.x until now the 4.4.0.68. So somehow 4.4.0.68 seems to have fixed something. And others report that as well.

Yep, tested with 4.4.9.68 and doesn’t work. I wonder if its now because it seems to check for an unlocked bootloader?

If so, then presumably it will now never work because, as I understand it, it is not possible to re-lock the bootloader and keep Sailfish installed - its either one or the other.

Ok. That seems to be specific for “Santander mobile banking app” I presume.

Well, it might be specific to Santander at the moment, but if one big bank starts to beef up its security requirements (e.g. No rooted phone, no unlocked boot loader, etc), you can bet that others will follow in time. No bank will want the security of its mobile banking app to be seen as worse than its competitors.

On Aurora store, Aptoide, or APKpure I found nothing searching Merkurbank. Instead I found Merkur Mobilebank, which seems to work. Is the app really called Merkurebank?

Can you provide a direct link to this app. I found nothing. Thanks