Background for 'pretty hostname' translation

Could anyone please help me translating this technical term? It appears in the context of security settings (jolla-home-qt5) for hostname configurations.
Source of the string his here.

I don’t know how it’s used within the system, but it’s simply another (“pretty”) name for the machine (i.e., your phone) in systemd context. Its default value is unset.
You can read that name from the shell with:

hostnamectl --pretty

And you can set it with (silly example):

hostnamectl set-hostname MyPrecious --pretty

I would also have difficulties translating that into something else but Technical English, without bursting into laughter.

1 Like

What about;
“hĂŒbscher Gastgebername”? :wink:
I had no idea about it but stackexchange revealed all necessary info.

But no idea how to translate to German.
Ubuntu man pages say ‘schöner Name’

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
This should be great for a translation community flavour ‘literal German’. Actually today I pondered the possibility of locales in dialect or ‘pirate tongue’. That would be sailing a funny boat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, thanks. That was my hunch, hadn’t had the opportunity to research this.

According to the explanation in the freedesktop specification, it is somewhat like a nickname you give your device:

The pretty hostname is a free-form UTF-8 hostname for presentation to the user. User interfaces should ensure that the pretty hostname and the static hostname stay in sync. I.e. when the former is " Lennart’s Computer " the latter should be " lennarts-computer ". If no pretty hostname is set this setting will be the empty string. Applications should then find a suitable fallback, such as the dynamic hostname.

So ‘GerĂ€tespitzname’ comes to mind.
Although I know the pretty name is tnot he same as a nickname. Alternatively we could take the more generic ‘GerĂ€tename’ (device name).

What do you guys think?

• GerĂ€tespitzname
  • GerĂ€tename
  • Pretty Hostname
  • leave as is (quoted ‘pretty’)

0 voters

1 Like

Perhaps it is similar to the term “Computerbeschreibung” in Windows :wink:
(in “Erweiterte Systemeinstellungen”).
Maybe “erweiterter GerĂ€tename” or “GerĂ€tebeschreibung”.

1 Like

Then maybe “beschreibender GerĂ€tename”?

Yes, sounds good too.

I had the same problem translating into Swedish and ended up with “Förskönat vĂ€rdnamn” (Ferschönerter Name)

Some ideas:
Benutzerfreundlicher GerÀtename - means userfriendly hostname,
Klartext-GerÀtename - simiar to human readable hostname,
or simply ‘GerĂ€tename’ - device name.

‘Gastgeber’ is the correct translation of host into german in the meaning of e.g. owner of a hotel or invitor to a party, in context of people and social interaction. This is not adequate in computer context.

1 Like

That post up there was a joke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Everyone’s aware of the word’s meaning

So we got:

• ‘GerĂ€tename’
  • ‘GerĂ€tespitzname’
  • ‘GerĂ€tebeschreibung’
  • ‘beschreibender GerĂ€tename’
  • ‘benutzerfreundlicher GerĂ€tename’
  • ‘Klartext-GerĂ€tename’

something I also thought of is ‘Anzeigename’ (display name ). That’s being used in vCards and could be an option , too.

What I’d like to avoid is long labels . We have no idea yet how much space will be available in the UI context of these strings. Also it gets awkward stylewise when using long explanatory compounds.

‘GerĂ€tebeschreibung’ looks good to me. Only problem I have is the semantic gap between that and ‘hostname’: If we interpret the specification of the terminology strictly, the hostname should always be the sanitized string version of the pretty one. So choosing ‘GerĂ€tebeschreibung’ would be counterintuitive

3 Likes

Well.
I’d also like to see the hostname/GerĂ€tename not really changed or modified (semantic gap). So something like ‘GerĂ€tebeschreibung’ would rellay be counterintuitive.
So my vote goes to either Klartext-GerĂ€tename (wich matches quite well the meaning) or ‘beschreibender/benutzerfreundlicher GerĂ€tename’ but latter are quite long.

2 Likes

So let’s take ‘Klartext-Name’, shall we?

1 Like

Obsoleted, as mentioned here?

Indeed. Well that’s that then :slight_smile:

1 Like