Audio output detection stopped working

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

The recognition of the correct audio output don’t work anymore. My question is: is this hardware related or software related?
If I’m getting called and I’m hearing music before the call, the audio routing is working without a hassle to the speaker and not to the wired headset. Using the audio output chooser I can always set the audio output I want. So it’s not that big problem, but you can miss an alert, because alerts will not set the audio output to speaker.
Th strange thing is: it was working with this release some weeks ago and stopped working suddenly. I did not changed anything.

Thanks in advance!

PRECONDITIONS:

of course at the most devices it will work correctly

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

  1. open a music player
  2. plug an your headphones or external speaker
  3. sound will be routed to the internal speaker

EXPECTED RESULT:

audio will be routed to the headphones or external speaker

ACTUAL RESULT:

audio is not routed to the external speaker or headphones

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

  1. I don’t know how to dig for relevant data. So any information about that is highly appreciated.
  2. Routing to bluetooth devices still works very well. So it seem to be a problem with the jack-output.
1 Like

Had you been using this before the issue appeared?
Doesn’t sound like supported functionality to me, so breakage isn’t all that surprising.

No, I was not using this before. After it stopped working I remembered this little app so I installed it…

It is an app from openrepos and nobody argues about breaking things…

1 Like

Developer of audio output here: I had the same problem, which is why I wrote the application in the first place. It just changes temporarily the sink to which the system outputs audio to. If it is misbehaving, a reboot (or restart of the pulseaudio service) at most should solve it. The app is not modifying any configuration files, it’s talking to the pulseaudio daemon the same way the volume indicators on most Linux desktop are doing it.

Anyway, as a response to @yajo10, in my case with the Xperia X the underlying cause was that there was too much dust inside the 3.5mm jack, causing the part that detects the presence of a plug to malfunction. I ended up removing the dust with a wooden toothpick, although I’m not sure if that could damage it. After that, it has worked just fine for me, so I would suggest you to try cleaning the 3.5mm jack as well

I’ve made a note on the Github issue tracker and depending on if time allows it, I’ll try to investigate.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. After reboot it works for a while, but at some point of time it gives up. In average I have to reboot once a week. I am also using Audio Output Chooser app. I think the problem is in the PA, but no time to investigate.

What player are you using BTW? I heard it it should not be a problem with the default music player.

1 Like

I have a similar issue on an XA2+ (SF3.3). I suspect it’s not mixing headphones with speaker but amplifier it uses. Fresh after reboot music sounds loud and clear but after any voice call sound goes down (not volume slider - actual volume I hear) and gets tinnier. I’m too blaming the phone app.
This switcheroo annoyance amplified by the safe volume limiter which would be reasonable if the volume stayed loud but now I’ve forced to crank it up to “the danger zone” to be able to hear audiobooks.

Thank you very much for your effort! That’s really nice!
Your app is quite great!
I’ve tried to remove the dust or what ever is in there, but I had no success. So I bought a new audio jack and will try to repair this by myself…
Maybe it’ll help. :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t think it is a Software lack, cause I can never get it working again. It stopped working after vacation at the beach ;), so I guess it is a hardware fault…
I’ve tried the most players, but mainly I’m using Muuzik! from the Jolla Store. It is directory based, a must have for me!

Well. I don’t have this kind of issue. For me the sound is coming out from the main speaker, even if I’m plugging in the headphones. So it’s more an issue of not detecting the external headphones in the jack… If I’m using a bluetooth music box everything is working fine…

I’ve ran into this lately as well. Is there any way to tell whether it’s a PA issue or if Linux isn’t receiving/emitting the event for the headphone jack being plugged in? I’ve tried cleaning out the port with no success as well as adding the pa plugin to switch when the jack is detected. Audio comes through fine if I force it to route via headphones though.

I don’t know it for sure. And sadly I did not get an air heater (just have one for removing colors from walls, but I guess, it’s a bit too hot for my phone :wink:) . So I can’t reported a result for changing the jack yet.

But I have noticed some behaviors that mad me think it’s an hardware issue.
If I set the routing manual to headphones and get a call the sound is applied to the main speaker.
And connecting to Bluetooth speaker the routing is working well too.
So maybe it’s hardware fault… I don’t know it for sure.

a simple hair dryer will do.

I do actually have a heat gun, but it seems like the Xperia X hardware is complete garbage and I don’t want to have to open up the phone for the 3rd time in less than 3 years (Camera went in 2018, then the USB port in 2019, now this.)