Android™ App Support Top Menu Switch

The Top menu has On/Off switches for “Mobile data”, “Internet sharing”, “Bluetooth” and so on. It even has a switch for “Font size”. Could we please have a switch to turn on/off the “Android™ App Support” instead of the actual shortcut?

12 Likes

That would be nice.

A user would expect an ON/OFF switch to change states immediately, right?
Starting Android App Support is a heavy process. It can take up to 15 seconds. Stopping it is faster but usually takes as many as 5 seconds. I wonder how the toggle switches should behave during those long transition times.

1 Like

When the icon is pressed, perhaps it could gently pulse until ‘support’ is off and then change to full opacity when ‘support’ is finally on.

7 Likes

The toggle could have a third state (grayed out) to indicate that a startup or shutdown process is in progress. To be honest, also the two startup/shutdown buttons in Android App support settings could be replaced by the same toggle.

1 Like

You can already put a shortcut on the top menu that takes you directly to the android support page in the settings app. Not as neat, but its what I use several times a day when I have to stop/start Android to get internet connectivity back when it screws itself.

Or a little Android robot icon next to the toggle could rotate in little circles until the on-off or off-on state change has completed!

1 Like

And if the state change didn’t complete successfully the little robot would stop rotating, but land on its head instead of upright when it did work …

2 Likes

Its’getting complex for a switch…I can see why the current design was chosen, but I like your idea! :+1: :

1 Like

I’ve been using aliendalvik button for this. It worked quite well on Xperia X, on the X10 II it leaves a bit to be desired, but is still ok to stop android support. Starting isn’t that reliable, but can also be achieved by starting an android app.

1 Like

@PeperJohnny thank you for the idea! I was missing this icon too, I took it from my XperiaX as one more setting, the orientation bar which you can select between dynamic-portrait-landscape and I prefer it from the “lock orientation button”. Unfortunately on the tries I copied the file “/usr/share/jolla-settings/pages/android-runtime/android.qml” from my XperiaX to X 10 ii . Could you send it to me please? Thank you in advance

Hi @PeperJohnny, where do I have to place the files? I am quite new to Sailfish and the Qt universe. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

If I understand the spec correctly you need to copy the .qml files to /usr/share/jolla-settings/pages/aliendalvik/
and the .json file to /usr/share/jolla-settings/entries/
You could also try to build the package yourself with the SDK tool Building packages - advanced techniques | Sailfish OS Documentation

Well, yes and no. We know starting AD takes time. Couldn’t this switch just show a waiting sign before the start of AD is being completed and then only turn to a started state?

2 Likes

Another thing that makes me wonder (and tear my hair) why it’s not implemented after all these years…

1 Like

If you are still interesting on it and you are using patchmanager, you can try “Android Support button” patch from Catalog Web

4 Likes

Didn’t work that well on my X10III. It gave me one more torch button instead of a android button. :smile:

Edit:
Reboot made it happen the right way. Looks like it’s working fine now. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for the offer but I don’t use PatchManager and won’t in the near future as my phone is my main device and I can’t take the risk of adding fiddle software.
Why on earth is a dev. capable of puling it off and Jolla can’t. Is it just time?

1 Like

Nicely done @carmenfdezb - I don’t use patchmanager any more, to many problems for me personally. So instead, i added the files you provide for your patch and now I have a working stop-start button for Android runtime :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not a priority for what little resources Jolla apparently has.

Doing it together…we make it, jolla may follow, or…may not.

2 Likes

It’s weird, I don’t understand why you get torch button, but it’s nice to hear that it’s working for you, thank you for the feedback.
In my case (I installed it in my devices: XA2 and 10 II) it worked fine and I didn’t reboot them.

1 Like