Android app support doesn't provide internet access: here (navigation app from Jolla)

REPRODUCIBILITY: (sometimes)
OSVERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia 10 III - xqbt52 - xqbt52 - 1.0.1.20 - aarch64
UI LANGUAGE: Deutsch (user: de_DE, os: de_DE.utf8)
REGRESSION: not specified

DESCRIPTION:

App “here” is installed from Joll store. Starting a new route, sometimes I got the message:
“connect to the internet and get regular traffic info? → ignore / settings”.
So one can’t get traffic warnings while driving

PRECONDITIONS:

Install app “here” from Jolla store.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Start GPS, mobile data und app “here”
  2. Start a new navigation
  3. Discover warning

EXPECTED RESULTS:

Get actual traffic information over mobile data while driving.

ACTUAL RESULTS:

Sometimes I got the message:
“connect to the internet and get regular traffic info? → ignore / settings”.
But at the same time I can use browser, mail, Signal with mobile data without problems.

MODIFICATIONS:

• Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Before 4.5.0.16 this was reproduceable for me to 100%, see also → Routing with “here we go”

Mostly it works with 4.5.0.19. Now I discovered, that a restart of Android app support solves this problem and I can get traffic information again.
(Side infomation: such a restart solves the orientation problem of Android apps, too; like mentioned in other issues.)

Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git4
1 Like

As a side note, the Here WeGo app of the Jolla Store is quite old (v. 2.0.11510). It is better to install a more recent version (4.8.000) from APKPure (or some other Android app store).

Hi jovirkku,
I’m aware that Here We Go is quite old, but it works good enough for me, maps can be downloaded.
In many posts it is generally recommended to install “native apps” from the Jollastore. So I try to follow this argumentation, since Jolla doesn’t support issues with apps from a Android-Store or something else.

I can confirm the newer Versions of Here Wego, 4.800 here an my 10 III, 4.5.0.19, work reasonably.

Nice to hear, that newer version work more properly. Then I kindly ask Jolla to offer a new version of Here We Go in their Jollastore.

Feel free to ask them anything. Let us know what the results are, please.

With 4.5.0.18 version, the first time I tried to run Here maps after update (and ~30 days uptime) it couldn’t fine route, couldn’t connect to internet (data or wifi), didn’t work after restart android support neither if I chose offline navigation or Utilities → Network restart. The thing that fixed it was a device reboot. No ideas what got stuck to the point it needed the restart. After that usually Android restart or Utilities → Network restart do the trick to apps.

Are you talking about the ancient version from Jolla Store? It makes absolutely no sense at all to use totally outdated navigation software.

As Speedy-10 mentioned above:

There is a new version available which works flawlessly, just to mention. Aurora Store might be your friend. I am using Here since the Xperia X and most versions were quite reliable. Only in summer '21 I had some issues.

Could you help me understand the advantages?
I am always willing to improve my navigation.

Actuall I’m trying out the current Version of Aurorastore. But I kindly ask Jolla to offer a new version of Here We Go in their Jollastore.

I wouldn’t call Here a native app. I think it is in the Store since Jollas own map application was discontinued.

2 Likes