Alarm sound only plays through headphones

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.21
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia-10 III
UI LANGUAGE: DE
REGRESSION: yes (compared to previous hardware with earlier releases)

DESCRIPTION:

When wired headphones are attached, the alarm clock sound is only played through the headphones. This fails to wake me up when the phone is laying around with headphones still attached.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Insert wired headphone/ earphones
  2. Open the stock alarm and set an alarm due within the next minutes

EXPECTED RESULT:

The alarm sound plays through speakers (an optionally additionally through earphones).

ACTUAL RESULT:

The alarm sound is only played through the earphones. If they are attached to the device but not plugged into the ears of the user, the alarm is barely audible.

MODIFICATIONS:

Chum, openrepos, Audio Output Selector installed but not used since reboot

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

In case this is indeed intended behaviour (why though?), this can be seen as a feature request to make the audio sink(s) of the alarm configurable.

1 Like

I have the same issue with alarm sounds playing only through headphones on my Sony Xperia 10 III (os versions 4.5.0.19 and 4.5.0.24). The same happens with phone calls also, so if the headphones are plugged in, a call ringtone will play only through the headphones.

Additionally I’ve noticed that sometimes app audio will not play through headphones at all, everything will instead use the phone speaker. (Re-plugging headphones in and app restarts don’t fix this.) I don’t know if this is issue related, but audio though headphones will work again for me after restarting the phone.

An update on Is this intended behaviour or not:

I checked the alarm behaviour on my Xperia X with Sailfish and on my Jolla 1 phone, both also play alarm sounds through the speaker when headphones are connected.
This makes this a device-specific bug.

I can confirm that phone ringing and alarms play on my Volla GS5/rephone even with the headphones plugged in.