A foundation for future development

Of course not. Plrase do as you see fit.

Today I bumped into this echo cancellation issue for the first time. I then used a bluetooth headset to make a call, after which I made yet another call without the bluetooth headset, and the issue was gone. Might be some coincidence, but to me that hints that temporarily using bluetooth (or wired?) headset for a call might fix the issue, at least temporarily. Maybe until next reboot?

5 Likes

That’s an interesting observation for sure @vige. If anyone else has experienced this, it’d be good to have confirmation.

For most people perhaps this is a solution, but not useful if you are wearing hearing aids. I have put the speaker on as suggested. Echo disappeared.

Slightly off topic, but (on a slant) related and interesting nonetheless. I was recently in a round-table meeting where one of the attendees shoved his mobile phone away from him to the the centre of the conference table. I asked why, and he explained that the phone’s mic was linked by bluetooth to his hearing aids, so using the phone’s mic and some clever noise filtering managed by his hearing aid app he could hear everybody as clear as a bell even if they were at the opposite end of the (very long) conference table. I thought that was pretty cool.

3 Likes

Yes, the possibilities are endless, even braintraining is coming with hearing aids. It’s a very lucrative market, innovating rapidly and becoming very expensive. I was able to try those with connectivity to my ipad. E4000 the two. Even then it was not great, because music is always distorted. Besides, you are forced to have bluetooth and location always on and you are expected to manage it all the time. There is also surveillance, with the apps and audiciens can change things from a distance. Mine are quite simple and I don’t have bluetooth and location always on.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear: only when my husband calls me he hears himself echoing. So it’s definitely my 10 III that causes the trouble. I have it now on speaker when calling, not an ideal solution. When talking, the sound of my own voice is lowering too.

3 Likes

I wear Oticon hearing aids and though the oticon ‘Open’ app runs via AD it’s not possible to connect/pair the app, even though the x10lll ‘sees’ the HA’s. Would improve my QoL significantly if we could.
(not sure if this pulls it back or drifts further OT:)

But yes, a solution for echo cancellation would be marvellous…

1 Like

Unfortunately the echo is back with speaker on. I tried a compilot (works with bluetooth and hearing aids). Sound is very low when calling, nearly impossible to hear. The strange thing is that this compilot works well when listening to e.g. Youtube (uTube). So it must be something in the calling function.

I’m a bit lost here… for me it looks like it should be fixable or even is already fixed in AOSP 10. Can someone enlighten me? Not going to buy a 10 III without this working :slight_smile:

I read this as a confirmation within the same issue which has been referred to, above: [Seine][pdx201][AOSP10] Echo cancellation doesn't work in loud speaker mode · Issue #684 · sonyxperiadev/bug_tracker · GitHub

that should be the (cherry-picked) pull request:

Can someone enlighten me? :thinking:

1 Like

TL;DR:

It’s working if:

• using the hands-free speaker (loudspeaker) mode

It’s not working if:

• using the ear piece mode

Sledges fixed the audio DB ID mapping for AOSP which activated echo cancelation for loudspeaker mode. However for ear piece mode the audio DB ID is unfortunately the same between Sony OEM and AOSP version so there should be echo cancelation activated which currently is not the case or not working reliable.

4 Likes

Does this work reliably?

Hard to say, as I haven’t encountered the issue ever since.

1 Like

Thank you!
I’m thinking of making the jump from Android to Sailfish again (I miss my Jolla 1…), but a phone where the telephony function doesn’t work in a reliable way would be unacceptable to me. However, if the described workaround works, I could live with it. Otherwise, the Xperia II would also be an alternative, but I wonder how promising (in the sense of how long it can still be used) it is.
But that is rather OT here, so I will stop at this point.

1 Like

The Camera API link is now 404-compatible, I believe the correct link is Camera (deprecated).

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging that up. I’ve fixed the link in the original post.

2 Likes

Is there any prospect of improvement there or is it more likely to remain in this state?

I don’t know what happened and when but it turns out that the echo issue has completely disappeared from my 10 III. Recently I’ve noticed that people calling me stopped complaining about echo. So I asked a few persons if they hear any echo and they denied. I wanted to check it myself so I gave my phone to my wife and used her phone to call mine, and indeed, there was absolutely no echo, not even a trace of it. Which is really surprising because when I bought the phone in July the echo was quite strong and disturbing.

So I have no idea what fixed it, or even if it’s gone for good or just temporarily. But the fact is that at this very moment there is no trace of echo.

5 Likes

So will the year of 2022 be a single-release year?
No translations strings for 4.5/5.0 yet and only 2 months left.

4 Likes

I’m also very curious for the future developments, especially the VoLTE issue, but on the other hand I’m happy that it now works relatively well and I can use it quite good for other things than troubleshooting and update limbo. I wish Jolla good luck!

1 Like