4th Xperia 10 unresponsive screen

If it is warranty they will deny repair due to the unlocked bootloader… https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/

EU law still mandates they repair it, regardless of whether the user installed unofficial software on it. It’s only if the manufacturer can prove that the problems were caused by installing unofficial software, that they can refuse (to pay for repair costs).

3 Likes

That is the fact.
But if Sony does not care about?
Especially as you explicitly agreed on that when requesting the unlock code.

Would you sue them at court??

Customer’s rights organisations can do it in your stead, but usually writing a strongly worded letter is sufficient to make them follow the law. E.g.

• By refusing to repair my device, you’re in breach of EU law
  • I’ll report this to national media
  • I’ll report this to the customer’s rights organisation (which has excellent lawyers)
2 Likes

Thanks, I have questioned the denial and keep you guys posted.

The forum does not allow me to repost the text twice, so here the link to my reply: Claiming warranty on Xperia 10, should I reflash Android, lock the bootloader?

I take back all my claims that this is a hardware (only) problem:
I installed Lineage OS on my 10 and 10plus and the screen works flawlessly. something in the sailfish display / touchscreen driver must be faulty.

1 Like

I had the same problem after about 1 and a half years of use. I confirm that after replacing the battery the problem has been solved.

Sometimes the same freezing touchscreen thing occurs on my Xperia 10, but in most cases after 20 sec - a few minutes the screen comes back without doing anything but wait.

It happens mostly after changing something regarding network, e.g. mobile data, VPN, WLAN or tethering on/off using top menu. So I assume strongly that the screen freezes while system is busy with network configuring issues and does not care about the touchscreen until ready.

1 Like

Probably a bug in the security system. The problem was eliminated after disabling the fingerprint lock.

I have this issue on my Xperia 10 ii.
It happens EVERY time I leave my house.
The solution is to switch off WiFi- as soon as I do this, the freezing stops.

We live in a big city, and obviously there are many WiFi networks around….

1 Like

It happens randomly, also on Android, Wlan, power on off, fingerprint… it’s all coincidental

I have the vague feeling that it has to do with the capacitive touchscreen somehow requiring that skin contact is made to the phone chassis. When using a rubber (non conductive) case, this contact is hardly made, thus rendering the touchscreen unresponsive. When it happens, sometimes even hitting the power button multiple times doesn’t work immediately, but when touching e.g. the camera though the case’s hole, it works. Just a theory…

I think this should be moved to the bug reports. Can some admin do that? Or should I just open a bug report?
In fact, the suspicion of hardware failure has prevented all investigation. But IMHO it is not a hardware issue. If my 10 plus stops working there are two ways of getting it back that are mutually exclusive:
In one case, push the on/off button once and open with fingerprint
In the other case, the fingerprint opens the phone, but the screen remains unresponsive. In this case push the on/off button to switch the screen off and push it again to switch it on. Then swipe left and phone runs normally.

I have this on my two Xperia 10 plus. IMHO this is a bug in the lock screen program. It randomly triggers the lock-screen program even after a short inactivity. It is a VERY ANNOYING bug, because it also often happens when one tries to pick up a call.

I have no issue with WLAN or any other thing. Just a screen becoming unresponsive. Sometimes if it went unresponsive and one waits a bit, it comes back. As if the CPU was maxed out. But it isn’t.

The fact that it can be rescued with the on/off button indicates that something is triggered unduly that is reset by locking/unlocking the screen. Unfortunately I do not have the tools to look in detail what happens when the screen becomes unresponsive. But it so often that it can be reproduced anytime.

Taking into account that Xperia 10 III users also have difficulties with application responsiveness, I’m a bit concerned that replacing the Xperia 10 doesn’t buy me anything if I remain in SailfishOS.

What do you mean with this?
First you speak about a bug in the lock screen, and then about then lock screen itself being triggered?
As in the phone being locked as opposed to screen just off? Do you have it on a timer and is just unlucky?

Or what do you mean? And more importantly; what does it have to do touchscreen unresponsiveness?
Are you only seeing lockscreen-related unresponsiveness?

The lock screen appearing (surely not?) or just general unresponsiveness?

And have you actually tried lightly bending it back to regain responsiveness?

What I wrote in July 21 (post # 15) is nonsense. Please ignore.

The real reason for the stucking screen was, in my case, a tottering contact on the connector on the mainboard, where the flat cable coming from the screen is connected.

Before I fixed this, I had permanently problems with this, after fixing the connector/tottering contact, never again since summer 21 until today.

1 Like

Sorry for being not sufficiently precise and adding speculation about causes.

If I unlock my phone via fingerprint, it is showing a normal screen but does not react on touch events. I then need to action the on/off button to lock the screen again. Then one of the two actions described in the previous post needs to be taken to unlock the screen again. Then the phone is responsive, sometimes for a long time. But sometimes, even if the phone just sits in your hands, the screen becomes unresponsive again. So you need to action the on/off button again and unlock again with one of the two above procedures. It is not predictable which action is effective. Sometimes the fingerprint results in a responsive screen, sometimes the fingerprint just turns the screen on, but the screen remains unresponsive. In this case, I have to turn the screen off & on again via the button and just swipe left. The screen becomes responsive again. I have this behaviour on two phones.

If it would be hardware, switching off and on again with fingerprint would always work. But it doesn’t. Sometimes you need to wake the screen with the on/off button and swipe left. Hence my speculation that it has to do with some “wake up” or energy optimisation behaviour.

Even if the screen is unresponsive, the phone works normally without any prob. I can take photos with the volume buttons, log in via ssh and all that. It is just the screen that is unresponsive. And I do not know why it is unresponsive.

And sometimes, when it “hangs”, waiting a little (5-10 sec) can have the effect that the screen becomes responsive again. But those are rare cases.

BTW, how can I verify whether this is a tottering contact? Is there a way without taking off the screen and physically checking?

That to me suggests they are not necessarily (closely) related to fixing the issue and you should be careful attributing them to solving it.
My bendy Xperia 10 was extremely random.

Work as is solve the problem? I fail to follow the logic in that. Sounds exactly like a (physical) hardware problem.

If it is hardware, like it was for me, gripping it slightly differently one way or another can definitely have an impact. The hardware issue in question being that the screen gets bent so it seems to think there are already one or more fingers on it, and thus either ignores yours completely or produces weird multitouch events.

Good, the you can check the journal log and see if something is amiss. If it is software it would be very likely that it would show something. This rules out some software issues, although not all… but it also doesn’t contradict it being a hardware issue at all.

I have the phone lying on the desk, responsive. I copy something by looking at the screen. 1minute later, the screen is awake but unresponsive.

Again, I wonder if one can check the hardware issue without disassembling the phone.

I believe you’re good by simply replacing the screen of your phone or check if the flat-connecting cable of the screen is lose. It’s fairly simple to do with a hairdryer and right tools (see video instructions that might help you e.g. Sony Xperia 10 Plus Disassembly Teardown Repair Guide. Screen easier than Galaxy S10? - YouTube). If you order the replacement screen e.g. from Amazon (costs are around 40€ without shipping) then it might come with all the tools you need. I recommend to use new double-sided tape when you install the replacement screen and when you put back the battery in place. Perhaps it’s also a good time to replace the battery as well. I just did this with my Xperia 10 plus and the phone feels like brand new. Xperia 10 and 10 plus are very easy to service devices. I hope this is the same with the Xperia 10 III, not yet tried to open.

1 Like