4.6.0.13 ofono crash loop (IPv6/android related?)

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: 4.6.0.13
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: Engilish
REGRESSION: Yes

DESCRIPTION:

occasionally, ofono will crash, restart, and then crash again, forever. restarting the phone, or restarting android appsupport are the only fixes.

this seems to be related to the bug where android appsupport cannot use the mobile internet. this bug occurs frequently and is new in 4.6 to me.

to reproduce, AFTER getting the android-has-no-mobile-internet bug. change mobile internet to IPv4-only, wait for android to lose connectivity (happens every day) and then switch from IPv4-only to dual.

ofono instantly crashes and restarts, repeatedly crashing every 5 seconds, forever. this is fixable only be restarting aliendalvik, which fixes everything…for a few hours, maybe a day.

PRECONDITIONS:

use aliendalvik, not be on wifi

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. set IPv4-only (mobile internet => IP)
  2. wait for the android no-mobile-internet bug to occur (happens frequently enough for me, at least every day). jolla-browser has internet, android chrome (and all other apps) have no connection
  3. change from IPv4 => dual
  4. settings app instantly crashes, ofono “4G” icon disappears
  5. ofono icon reappears, changes to “4G”, disappears, and repeats, forever
  6. journalctl shows that the ofono service is in fact crashing and restarting, and a new process is running, as if ofono was restarted
  7. stop aliendalvik, and ofono does not crash anymore, and 4G continues to work in jolla-browser
  8. start aliendalvik, and everything works correctly, in android and sfos

EXPECTED RESULT:

• mobile internet always works in android chrome when it works in jolla-browser
  • ofono never crash-loops

ACTUAL RESULT:

android has no internet, ofono crash loops

MODIFICATIONS:

nothing that i think is relevant to the bug, and nothing new since 4.5, which i can confirm does not have either bug after flashing back to 4.5.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

im always out-and-about when this happens and haven’t saved the logs. ill try and attach them the next time it happens and im not busy

2 Likes

HOORAY! this appears to be fixed in 4.6.0.15, it was something like treating failure to read netstats as fatal, so switch from wlan=>mobile crashed

1 Like