[4.4.0] Can't restore backup (to another device)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: X10II → X10III
UI LANGUAGE:
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

I was transferring a backup from X10II to X10III via NextCloud. The backup worked - the .tar.gz file appeared in the could - but restore couldn’t find the file.

PRECONDITIONS:

Nextcloud to save backup to. Memory card backup/restore untested.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Make a backup to cloud
  2. Make sure the file is there
  3. Log in to the Nextcloud account on the new phone
  4. Try to restore the backup

EXPECTED RESULT:

1. The backup is found and is restored

ACTUAL RESULT:

1. The backup isn’t listed and can’t be restored

MODIFICATIONS:

No modifications (yet).

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Copying the backup from the cloud to the memory card didn’t make it appear. The previous backup was a .tar file, and the new one a .tar.gz. Renaming the backup file from .tar.gz to .tar made it appear, and the backup succeeded. (Using file to determine the file type, it was a .tar archive, not a gzipped file.)

1 Like

Strange… are you using different SFOS versions?
I had no issues restoring, albeit from SD-card.

I first had the same problem with backup from Dropbox, but when I checked Dropbox in desktop browser, I found that Sailfish backup program saved backup in different folders from each hardware unit. So I just moved backup file from Xperia X folder to Xperia 10 lll folder, and restore worked just fine.

1 Like

Both of them are running 4.4.0.64. The older backup is from 2021.

Yes, this worked for me.
One extra step I did was to first create a backup with the new device so as to create a directory in the cloud, and then copy the old backup into that directory.

1 Like

Huh, that’s right. Nextcloud has a helpful UI that managed to abstract away the exact path of the backup file… Solving the issue as such.

I had to make a backup of my empty 10 iii phone, and replace it with my XA2 backup over it, keeping the new name.

The Restore system should be much less fussy about naming conventions and just give a warning if it’s a different phone.