[4.4.0.64][Xperia 10 III] Bluetooth pairing does not show device name after first pairing

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% after first happened
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: Italian
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

After a successful pairing with my car Bluetooth, where the device was working fine both for calls and audio, the connection could not be established any more. Removing and re-adding the device shows a device with no name, although the device name is correctly set. Also pairing to my laptop PC shows “unknown device”.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Pair the phone to a car.
  2. Wait some days until it does not work any more.
  3. Remove and re-add the device.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The device is shown with the set name.

ACTUAL RESULT:

The device is shown with no name.

1 Like

Added to internal bug tracker. Temporary workaround: edit the device name in settings. After that the name is visible to other devices until the next reboot.

4 Likes

That’s why the first time it worked. I renamed it and paired it right after.

Is there a fix for this bug as I’m getting it on an Xperia 10iii on 4.5.0.19

For me still the MAC-adress is the shown BT-Name on my car.

Mine shows “Unknown” and doesn’t always connect. Changing the name in Bluetooth Settings seems to get things going again until the next reboot. Some device connections/naming are OK.

For me this problem went away with the 4.5 upgrade. It lasted during the whole 4.4.
I only experienced it with a car kit, which displayed a phonr entry with blank (empty) name. Connection only worked once, after the 1st pairing. Reconnection required to remove the pairing nd start over.
My other devices worked, but not having a screen, I can’t tell if they ‘saw’ the phone name.
Again , v4.5 cured this problem.

I have to make my BT visible for 3 min., to make sure my car will connect again (after each reboot).

Is there a fix in the works for this bug?

Having to rename or repair most times when I get into my car isn’t really a practicable solution.

This bug is listed as solved in 4.5.0.16 release notes, and I can confirm that it actually works on my device.
Maybe you should file a new bug report since this could be a different issue or a borderline case.

This is a fresh install of 4.5.0.19 onto a new phone - Xperia 10iii. I never had a problem with my XA2.

I haven’t yet paired it with all of my bluetooth devices, It works no problems with my Amazfit watch but there are issues reconnecting to my car. Perhaps it is a a different issue. I’m happy to lodge another bug report, but first I’ll see how my other devices perform with reconnecting.

Your description fits exactly what I experienced and reported on Xperia 10 III, which I flashed with the very first version available. The bug stayed with all 4.4.0.x releases and went away with 4.5.0. Maybe it is only solved for devices not flashed with 4.5.0 for the first time?