[4.3.0] Slack icon missing after reboot

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (1 out of 1 reboot)
BUILD ID = OS VERSION: 4.3.0.12 (EA)
HARDWARE: X10II
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Slack Android application icon gets deleted from the launcher when device is rebooted. Could also be restart of AlienDalvik, but I just noticed this after reboot.

PRECONDITIONS:

• Have Android support and Slack installed

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install the application
  2. The icon appears in the grid
  3. Reboot

EXPECTED RESULT:

• The icon is still in the launcher

ACTUAL RESULT:

• The icon is not in the launcher
  • Slack must be started from application store or command line

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I don’t know what is causing this, but I suspect Slack may not be the only application affected.

After installing Slack, before reboot:

$ ls /usr/share/applications/ | grep Slack
apkd_handler_com_Slack-slack_app_ui_HomeActivity.desktop
apkd_handler_com_Slack-slack_features_deeplinking_DeepLinkActivity.desktop
apkd_launcher_com_Slack-slack_app_ui_HomeActivity.desktop

After reboot:

$ ls /usr/share/applications/ | grep Slack
apkd_handler_com_Slack-slack_app_ui_HomeActivity.desktop
apkd_handler_com_Slack-slack_features_deeplinking_DeepLinkActivity.desktop

WORKAROUND

1. Install Slack
  2. cp /usr/share/applications/apkd_launcher_com_Slack-slack_app_ui_HomeActivity.desktop ~/
  3. Reboot
  4. devel-su cp ~/apkd_launcher_com_Slack-slack_app_ui_HomeActivity.desktop /usr/share/applications/
6 Likes

Is the post of @scharelc related to this one: [Release notes] Suomenlinna 4.3.0 - #79 by scharelc

1 Like

Same goes for Bitwarden.

1 Like

The austrian Covid certificate app “Grüner Pass” has the same symptoms but the behaviour is a little bit different.
There the desktop file /usr/share/applications/apkd_handler_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop contains the line NoDisplay=true.
After removing the line and restarting the UI using the Sailfish Utilities it shows up for some seconds but disappears again.
The line NoDisplay=true gets readded to the file.

1 Like

The reason is completely different, but the underlying mechanism might still be the same - something mangles with .desktop files…

Workaround for my case:

1. copy the original file to the users home directory

cp /usr/share/applications/apkd_handler_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/

2. remove the NoDisplay line from that file

sed -i ‘/^NoDisplay=true/d’ ~/.local/share/applications/apkd_handler_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop

3. Reboot the phone or restart the UI using the Sailfish Utilities

After the issue has been hopefully fixed by an update the icon should appear twice and one can remove the copy from the home directory

rm ~/.local/share/applications/apkd_handler_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop

EDIT: after a reinstall there are two files:

• /usr/share/applications/apkd_handler_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop
  • /usr/share/applications/apkd_launcher_at_gv_brz_wallet-at_gv_brz_wallet_MainActivity.desktop

The only difference is the filename of the Icon parameter and NoDisplay=true in the handler file.
The workaround is still working.

1 Like

Are all these cases happening when the apkd_launcher file has the same suffix as an apkd_handler?

1 Like

These are the two files after a reinstall of the app.
The launcher file disappears after a reboot.

I had the same problem after the update, missing Slack icon. I opened Aptoide store, searched for Slack, opened the app from Aptoide and then somehow Slack icon reappeared to the menu.

Another (clumsy) workaround:

• Open Aida64, go to Apps
  • Look for Slack (*) and tap it to open the Android app info
  • Tap Open

(*) or some app

1 Like

I can also confirm this problem in 4.3.0.12. The only affected app I’ve noticed is Slack. Seems like restarting Alien Dalvik is enough for the app icon to disappear. My clumsy workaround is open Aurora Store, find the app and open it from there :smiley:

Lost the icon after some time, installed older version from aptoide and got the icon back again. Hopefully it doesn’t disappear anymore.

We have an internal bug about this issue now. The fix should arrive on the OS release 4.4.0.

Thanks for reporting.

6 Likes

One of my most-used apps is also affected: Carnet (Nextcloud-synched notes app).

I would like to ask you to consider prioritizing this annoying bug so it can be fixed before the next release (which would take some months).

2 Likes

Carnet (fdroid) & Smartschool (Belgium) same behaviour …