[4.2.0.19] Threema: Videocalls, voicecalls and Threema Web connection via WiFi not working with Sailfish [WiFi]

REPRODUCIBILITY (100%):
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (3.4.0.24):
HARDWARE (XA2, and partly Xperia X):
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):

DESCRIPTION:

Videocalls or just voicecalls via Threema (4.43) is not working with XA2 over WiFi. It is trying to connect but fails. I tried to call an Android device and also my Xperia X. It is ringing but the connection can not be established.

Making calls (over WiFi and mobile data) with Xperia X does work, but the frontcamera is somehow zoomed in and the picture ist streched. The backcamera is working fine. Calls are not stable though.

i remember, that it worked before the last update.

Edit 1 the test with XA 2 was done on WiFi.

Edit 2 I also tested over mobile data and it worked. So the issue is WiFi related!

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. make a call via threema on XA2 over WiFi

EXPECTED RESULT:

should work

ACTUAL RESULT:

not working

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

1 Like

Did you test WIFI and MobileData?

I tested via Wifi, I will test it with Mobile data this evening.

I can confirm this bug, using
Threema 4.43
Sailfish 3.4.0.24
Xperia XA2 Dual SIM
Videocalls and voicecalls does work with mobile data, but not via Wifi.

Threema Web does also not work via Wifi only with mobile data.

1 Like

i can confirm this on xperia xa2 sailfish v 3.4.0.24.
Also jitsi meet and browser (sailfish browser and firefox) do not work with jitsi.

At this time, i cannot to video calls? Will this be fixed?

any Feedback here? is someone working on this issue?

Seems to be an remaining issue with the XA2 on SFOS 4.1.0.24

1 Like

Slightly off-topic, but I’ve also experienced that notitifcations are not displayd with Threema 4.54 and SFOS 4.1.0.24.

2 Likes

Seems not to be fixed in the 4.2 EA release. It also occurs on X 10 II.

2 Likes

I can confirm this bug stil exists with 4.2.0.21 (Xperia 10 II)
Threema 4.58

2 Likes

Still present with Xperia 10 in SailfishOS 4.3 :slightly_frowning_face:

Threema’s debug_log.txt shows repeatedly when hanging at the 60% loading of Threema Web.

Wed Nov 17 11:04:04 GMT+01:00 2021      WARN  libwebrtc: android_network_monitor.cc(line 517): Get an unknown type for the interface wlan0
Wed Nov 17 11:04:04 GMT+01:00 2021      WARN  libwebrtc: android_network_monitor.cc(line 517): Get an unknown type for the interface rndis0
1 Like

Yes, it is still present with 4.3 .0.12 (Xperia 10 II) and Threema 4.59

This has been a known problem for a very long time.

https://together.jolla.com/question/210405/bug-threema-messenger-no-voice-call-sfosx-32-xperia-x-xa2/
https://together.jolla.com/question/202371/threema-web-not-working/

It would be really nice if a developer would comment if this is on some todo list or if they decided to ignore the problem.

I would like to note that the number of Threema users is constantly growing.

For me, it’s the most important app in my daily life, so I would be happy to know if they are working on this WebRTC issue or not. If it’s a clear no, I would consider trying LineageOS.

2 Likes

Even not entirely for Threema, I will mention what I found today, it might help:

I tried Elements (android matrix client), the chat was working fine but no calls/ videos.
When I did the verification it mention IP: 172.18.0.1 ( I suppose it is kind of docker IP of android 10 on sailfishX ?)

Also I tried jitsi app (from F-droid), didn’t work either.

Now the intresting part: both Elements and jitsi worked fine from Firefox (android app) with both video and audio!

I hope all that helps and we will have it fixed on next update

this is still not working…:(( Anyone got any feedback from jolla?

jolla support states:

We have good news for you. It seems that the Telegram fix for WiFi-based connections in the Android App Support of Sailfish also makes Threema work via WiFi. Even Threema video calls.
The upcoming Sailfish release 4.4.0 will contain this fix.

waiting for 4.4. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, great news, thank you so much! Can hardly wait for 4.4.0.

2 Likes

It was about time that it works now

Asking Threema user: is this bug now fixed?