[4.2.0.19] French and Spanish keyboard text prediction is broken on Xperia 10 II

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.19
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: any
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): yes

DESCRIPTION:

Text prediction for the French and Spanish keyboards is broken and makes wildly inaccurate suggestions, like short acronyms when you’re typing a long word, even when you’ve typed the word correctly. This doesn’t happen with the English or Dutch text prediction, there the suggestions work fine.

This seems to only be on the Xperia 10 II, with the newly available text prediction ‘app’ installed from the Jolla store.

3 Likes

Hopefully I use English to reply :grinning:
More seriously, the prediction with French is as described: not working.
It is rare I can use it as intended. Usually even with typing the letters of the word, the word never appears as a suggestion, even if you scroll right till the end. The suggestions are unbelievably wrong: no correspondence to the letters you type. It sometimes works but it is only when you type one letter and the suggestion appears by chance.

It would be interesting to know if it is linked to the existence of accents on top of vowels for instance, and so happening with other languages.

I was using the prediction with Xperia 10 until 4.1 and it was working flawlessly with French.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this! We have now an internal bug on the issue. Let’s hope we will get it fixed.

Br,

Jarkko

2 Likes

Does your phone also have this bug [4.2.0.19][4.1.0.23][4.0.1.48] Text prediction suggestions does not scroll

I cannot confirm this one. I only have the (annoying and already documented) bug that the suggested-words bar is sometimes frozen and you need to switch keyboards to have it working again. When not frozen, I can scroll to the right and have more suggested words (even though currently the suggestions are useless in French as described in this page).

I have the same issue with Spanish keyboard text prediction on my Xperia 10 II. However, it works fine on my XA2. so it’s clear that this problem only happens on the Xperia 10 II

2 Likes

Yes, the 64-bit implementation on X 10 II is different. And incomplete, it seems.

1 Like

We made an attempt to fix the problem to the upcoming release 4.2.0.21. It alleviated the problem in some languages but there are languages that still suffer from insane word proposals. So the work is to be continued. Hopefully, we get it ready by OS release 4.3.0.

4 Likes

with 4.2.0.21 I can report a better keyboard in that there is no obvious freeze of the suggestion bar anymore.
however the words prediction quality in French is still not on par with what it used to be on previous SFOS releases or with English.
Almost unusable in French :disappointed: and so hoping dreadfully to see a fix in 4.3 :wink:

2 Likes

The same for Spanish keyboard: it works better on 4.2.0.21 but text prediction needs to be improved

I can not confirm this for the French prediction as it is working perfectly now and reliably for me. As in, it predicts really well the words I might want to type in. I had the same problem described above but it seems to be gone now in 4.2.0.21.

Could you inform about the device you use? Because I believe the problem is for the Xperia 10 ii

You are so right to ask about it as I use an XA2 Plus and an Xperia 10. So my positive report does not count at all. My bad ;-p

Is this something that could be released with a mere update of the Text Prediction app in the Jolla Store? Or is it something that will have to wait until the next release?

Hi,
Thanks for your message! We don’t know yet how this will be fixed and delivered. So it remains to be seen.

Br,

Jarkko

2 Likes

I can add Italian to the list, same weird behavior on Xperia 10 II.

2 Likes

I confirm that Italian is utterly broken on my 10 II as well.

I can confirm the bug that I need to switch keyboards before text prediction works correctly again almost every time. That’s for Dutch, Sailfish 4.3 and on an Xperia X.