[4.2.0.19] Browser tabs page opens very slowly with hundreds of tabs

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.2.0.19
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10 II
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

The tabs page in the sailfish browser opens really slowly compared to 4.1.0.23, if you have around 400 tabs open. This makes switching tabs now take around 5 seconds instead of the 2 it took before. While it is not much, watching a spinner to only see 3 tabs loaded (the rest is out of view), is a bit frustrating. This should be easily optimizable by using a ListView, I hope.

PRECONDITIONS:

Open a few hundred tabs

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open a few hundred tabs
  2. Open the tabs page

EXPECTED RESULT:

Page opens immediately without a spinner

ACTUAL RESULT:

Page takes a few seconds to load.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

3 Likes

I got worried when I saw this report, but fresh after 4.2 reboot, my 386 tabs list opened in near-instant, definitely nowhere near 4-5 sec delay.

BUT this does sound exactly like 4.1 behaved with any memory pressure, things would start massively stalling.

As I’m fresh to 4.2 now, I’ll monitor for a few days and report back with findings.

1 Like

A reboot doesn’t seem to help and this is definitely on 4.2. I have an xperia x compact on 4.1 for comparison. There the tab list is already visible before the page transition finishes, while on my 10ii it takes about 3 seconds after the page transition finishes to load the tab list (with 450 tabs open). This is pretty much the same immediately after a reboot.

I’ve made a very shaky video about it (after closing some tabs, so it is not quite as extreme): https://matrix.neko.dev/_matrix/media/r0/download/neko.dev/gvEaWkiDlNTvtUPPAbMrCKJt

Note that it is not exceptionally slow, but it is slower than enjoyable and the direct comparison is pretty extreme imo. This probably shouldn’t be a high priority issue, but I would appreciate not having to see a spinner when switching tabs, especially since it was possible to do without a spinner before.

Thanks for posting your video. I can see my X10 II is about the same as yours, and to me it’s relatively acceptable.

I do enjoy 4.1 (previous) tab list design more, definitely had better design personality and fits more on a single screen. But that’s for Browser redesign in Sailfish 4.2 feedback thread - #14 by diegoc