Browser redesign in Sailfish 4.2 feedback thread

I have one small complaint, how the experience is degraded if you have a lot of tabs open.
Previously if you opened tab view, if you were let’s say on tab 10 of 20, it would open half down the tab list, with the tab you are viewing on screen.
But now it always opens at the beginning of the list, so you have to scroll down and search for the tab you are on.
This together with removal of close tab button makes the experience worse.
Otherwise the redesign looks really good, and seems quite snappy, just needs a few tweaks in my opinion.

10 Likes

Previously if you opened tab view, if you were let’s say on tab 10 of 20, it would open half down the tab list, with the tab you are viewing on screen.
But now it always opens at the beginning of the list, so you have to scroll down and search for the tab you are on.

That’s bad :frowning:
I haven’t upgraded yet, but saw the notes about rwmoved close button. Since that is the way I normally close tabs today, I didn’t agree to this change, but thought that I had to change my ways, to use the tab view. But with that view “broken”, I guess that’s not possible (I have a lot of tabs, 50+). This is a huge step backwards for UX, unless there’s another way to close current tab.

I can not confirm this. For me it always opens at the tab location (which usually is the very bottom of the list).

When opening the browser the address field is at the very top of the screen.
It is hard to reach it there to enter an address.

This would be great! Will wait for the release to be out of EA and I’d like to see the new layout too!

1 Like

I like the new menu and the new functions ‘save page as PDF’ and ‘Desktop version’. (The last is a little bit sticky in landscape mode)

Browser is (felt) much faster now!

Thank you much Jolla!

2 Likes

Edit of Bookmarks has a glitch.

4 Likes

Save to PDF and Desktop version functionality was present in earlier versions as well. It was just not written out, only icons, so harder to find.

1 Like

But with that view “broken”, I guess that’s not possible (I have a lot of tabs, 50+).

This was wrong. I thought that I might as well upgrade and now I can verify that tab view focuses on the active tab.

Discoverability of that there are more options below the bottom just isn’t there

Back to UX. This is just bad imho. Even after reading this thread and seeing screenshots of the two menu (normal and open) it took me some time to understand the functionality (but maybe I’m just stupid :crazy_face:)

As for closing the menu, I think tapping outside is ok but oftentimes too far away for how I’m holding the phone. Swipe down to close the menu would be such great addition and integrate well with both pull up to expand as well as swipe down to close the keyboard.

The new tab view is a bit too screen real estate hungry, even if it works on my Xperia, since its form factor handles it. And I’d still prefer pulleys over toolbars with buttons.

Small eye sore for me is that the back button (on the normal toolbar) and the forward button (on the menu toolbar) are misaligned. Also the alignment/grouping of the menu items is looking strange/off.

Overall I think the rework is ok.

1 Like

Don’t people reload tabs anymore? I do it all the time.

Written out functionalities are very much better than icons!!

Written out functionalities are very much better than icons!!

It depends, but in this case I agree, because there were several actions with non-obvious icons.

1 Like

let’s agree to disagree. PDF with a down arrow as in 4.1 was enough for me to understand it would save the website as PDF.

1 Like

I made a PR to bring back the close button here: https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfish-browser/pull/905

It seems like at first the close button not being interactive was a mistake. All the functionality to close the tab was still there, the toolbar was just set to disabled by the animator and the menu was covering it. It wasn’t a “close menu” button. For the next Sailfish release the button will then be removed, because it isn’t clickable. My PR reverts that and makes it interactive.

Now some bad news, seems like the pullymenu in the tabpage will now also get duplicated by a popupmenu with a “close all tabs” action… Which makes the browser move even further away from Sailfish design guidelines. D:

4 Likes

That’s great news :slight_smile:
Let’s hope that can be brought on as a bugfix of 4.2, and that we get to keep it.

Bugfix for 4.2 is unlikely, since the change would need to be much bigger and that seems to conflict with the Silica Background component on 4.2 (the shader doesn’t render).

Overall I would say the new browser UI is an improvement over the previous one. The filtering of bookmarks while searching is really nice, as well as the improved history view and the new options in the settings. The browser engine finally being aware of the keyboard and making sure that elements anchored to the bottom of the viewport is also a great addition! The landscape layout in the tabs overview page is also neat.

The popup menu is way better than the enormous expanding toolbar in previous versions in my opinion. I believe the discoverability issue of the extra menu items could be simply fixed by showing 6.5 menu items by default instead of 7. It may not look perfect, but I’d say it’s an easy, practical solution.

I would suggest in the tab overview screen to remove the back and the new tab buttons. These are already redundant by the back swipe and pulley menu. I would also suggest to either move the private browsing buttons to the bottom or to put it back in the pulley menu, as they are impossible to use with one hand on the Xperia 10 II. Lastly I would consider to increase the size of the close buttons. I feel like they are a bit to small to reliably hit.

7 Likes

I wonder why are the plus and back buttons exist anyways because they are redundant to the standard functionality (pulley menu for new and swipe page back)

4 Likes