[4.1.0.23][Android] Cannot switch to dark mode

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.23
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2 Plus
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

I cannot activate dark mode, nothing happens toggling the switch for that in android settings. It is back to disabled if you restart the settings app. This was working in 4.0

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open android settings (for example using aliendalvik control)
  2. Go to “display”
  3. Try setting dark mode to on

EXPECTED RESULT:

Android applications are using dark mode.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Android applications are still white.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Strange. On 4.0, mine(XA2) always has failed to activate dark mode, while it got activated from the 1st try now on 4.1

I can’t switch to dark mode on Android with my 10 III on SFOS 4.4.
I used “Launcher icon for Android Settings” patch to access Android settings.
Still no luck

is there any way to connect to android settings without installing a patch?

I can’t. I can move the switch but it does nothing and the next time I open that screen it is again switched to inactive :roll_eyes: Same result on both the 10 III and XA2U.

1 Like

Oh no, I am so sorry!
I meant to say I can’t, instead of I can. So I also really wish we could switch to the dark mode on Android.

1 Like

In Android logcat I’ve found something like this after every attempt to activate the dark mode:

08-08 21:38:32.078 257 273 D UiModeManager: Night mode cannot be changed before setup wizard completes.

1 Like

apkd-launcher com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings
Dark mode seems to work fine if google services is installed through the script, so probably microg issue

2 Likes

thanks, it still does not work for me and I am trying to keep android apps to minimum only. It’s pity tho as lots of battery life can be saved with darker themes on 10 III.

The log entry refers explicitly to unfinished setup wizard, so maybe it is a matter of changing the corresponding property somewhere (e.g. in some Android .prop file, etc.), like “setup_completed: true/false” or something like that.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this @balta, and for everyone’s follow-up discussion confirming that this is still an issue.

I’ve created an internal report about it and tagged it here as “tracked”. If there are updates on it in the future, I’ll do my best to share them here.

4 Likes