[4.0.1.48] SMS conversation title fields overlap

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
BUILD ID: 4.0 1.48
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

SMS conversation title with recipient and weekday texts collide and overlap with all font sizes.

PRECONDITIONS:

Have a long SMS conversation with someone; more than one screen full in length.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Change font size in system settings
  2. Observe the SMS conv. page title

EXPECTED RESULT:

Consistent layout, no overlap between text elements.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Name and weekday elementa overlap on all text sizes.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

1 Like

Still in 4.1.0.23. Post must be 20 characters long.

This still happens with XA2 Ultra with 4.5.0.19. On X10III it’s fine; the height of the page header element seems larger. It doesn’t depend on the text size either (which would have been my first assumption).

1 Like

I was nerd-sniped by this, and it turns out to be result of Theme.itemSizeXxx not scaling with text size setting, whereas Theme.fontSizeXxx (naturally) does. The difference this causes leads into the spacing of the ConversationHeader recipient name field and the sticky date box field to be not relative, but half-relative and half-absolute. TL;DR I managed to follow the code far enough to fix the calculation.

In /usr/share/jolla-messages/pages/ConversationPage.qml line 98 should be this:

topMargin: (conversationHeader.active ? conversationHeader.height - (conversationHeader.height - Theme.fontSizeLarge) / 2 : 0 ) - Theme.paddingMedium

This fixes two things, actually:

• The recipient name and the date box don’t overlap
  • The date box has same padding to top of the page and to the SMS content (it was a bit too low before) Edit: in landscape mode

I tested this with XA2 Ultra and X 10 III and on both cases the views look the same or better, in all three text sizes. Please pick this fix for the next release :slight_smile:

1 Like

I made a patch out of this, sources are available too! Feel free to pick this up still!

1 Like

Seems annoying if this is somewhat hardware dependent. Can’t indeed trigger on X10 II.

The patch might fix something, but that’s not entirely proper either. Font sizes can’t be taken as pixel sizes directly.