Community meeting on IRC 26th October 2023

Schedule: Thursday 2023-10-26T07:00:00Z   :world_map:   :date:

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

* Name/IRC nick:
* Topic:
* Some details about the topic:
* Approx. time needed:
* Substitute (optional):

Open Pull Requests:
If you have, or know of, a pull request that’s been open for at least 3 weeks, but which you think deserves attention, please add a comment using the template below and we’ll consider it during the next meeting.

* Name/IRC nick:
* Open PR URL:

2 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick:sailr
  • Topic: Recently released repositories
  • As also announced in the latest community news, various repositories have been published by jolla on github under bsd license and made publicly available. Since a few days they have disappeared again. Here are some questions:
  1. Will the repositories be released again and if so, when? If not, why?
  2. Is the release of other currently proprietary components under bsd license planned? If so, will this affect all components of the system? If not, which components should remain proprietary?
  3. Can you give reasons for releasing the components under bsd license?
  • Approx. time needed: 10 mins
  • Substitute (optional): I’ll try to be present.
12 Likes

awesome, thank you salir! i wanted to be there and ask this but i cannot. can you also ask whether the previously released repositories were actually BSD?

by which i mean: perhaps jolla realized that they there was a copyright holder that didnt/couldnt sign off on the license change, and these repos are still legally non-foss licensed, despite the git commit claiming otherwise.

as opposed to, say, a business decision reversed, in which case the already released source can still be used by any who cloned it.

thanks again!

2 Likes

@JesusGod-Pope666 There is a specific template. Please, update your posts with it.

1 Like

It is not that difficult to use this template:

• Name/IRC nick:
  • Topic:
  • Some details about the topic:
  • Approx. time needed:
  • Substitute (optional):
    I don’t see anybody deliberately fixing your requests. You can leave them that way, but it is possible that they are simply ignored that way.

Could some moderator please ban JesusGod-Pope666? Mostly utter rubish is being posted by this account. We don’t need such content here on the - mostly - very friendly sailfish forum. Thanks.

17 Likes

@JesusGod-Pope666

I think you have two valid feature requests here. Unfortunately this is not the right thread for feature requests.

If you want to make a feature request, post in the Feature Requests forum category.

Please use (topic-)appropriate language and arguments when formulating your request. (Personal opinions and religious tenets are not arguments.)

2 Likes

Have you heard of consequences of your own actions? If I drive over the speed limit get a fine and you are in the car behind and get a fine, it is still your fault for driving over the speed limit. It is still your responsibility to check the speed limit on the road.

i just thought of a great topic for the community meeting. alas, i cannot attend. can someone else bring up this topic?

5 Likes

Bug Reports

1. The body of an email draft is cleared
  2. Sharing API not working for non ASCII filenames to Android Apps
  3. Screenshots not shown in android apps (part 2: "Näyttökuva")
  4. Opening email from notifications does not mark it as read (papercut))
  5. QR code recognition does not work on Jolla Tablet
  6. Inaccurate image in Sailfish OS Documentation
  7. Opening a new private tab doesnt bring up the keyboard
  8. When combo box doesn't have a value it's hard to see if interaction is possible
  9. [4.0.1.48] SMS conversation title fields overlap

(hope we’re not too late this time, sorry)

7 Likes

PLEASE, someone bring up this ONE SPECIFIC ISSUE:
users flagging trolls can close threads, so users may be hesitant to flag posts. this can be a safety issue.

no one should ever fear to flag hate speech

5 Likes

Sorry about responding im this topic about this issue, because it is offtopic…
‘Hate speech’ is a term which has a multiplicity of interpretetions these days. Many of those should not be reasons to flag at all, like: ‘I feel unconfortable by this message’. I’d say it should be more about respecting other people and not going offtopic too much.

1 Like

110%.

terms of service should allow trolls to be banned, flawed forum policy shouldn’t allow the good functioning of the community to be compromised. our troll has exposed just such a flaw, great, now update policy to address the deficit.

but, no need to expand beyond this into areas that are inherently subjective, and beyond the scope of the forum.

3 Likes

this is very true. bear in mind, however, that i am specifically referring to ACTUAL hate speech. particularly derogatory slurs condemning racial and religious groups, and statements endorsing harmful conspiracy theories about these groups.

there were recent examples where a post with actual hate speech was NOT being flagged right away, because the participants didn’t want to lock the thread.

1 Like

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 26th Oct 2023
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2023/sailfishos-meeting.2023-10-26-07.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

6 Likes

Someone forked that repositories before they vanish?

07:05:22 <rainemak> #info <sailr> As also announced in the latest community news, various repositories
07:05:22 <rainemak> #info <sailr> have been published by jolla on github under bsd license and made publicly
07:05:22 <rainemak> #info <sailr> available. Since a few days they have disappeared again.

It seems so

07:08:16 <Sailr> Some people forked these repos and would like to know if they are allowed to use it or republish it on

Do not worry about I am keen to fork the repositories of those have forked them in first place.

Just write me about in pvt or by e-mail.