3.5? translation questions

Hey fellows @sledges @jahonen

~~I think I found a typo in the following GB English text:
https://translate.sailfishos.org/hu/translate/#filter=incomplete&unit=595319

“Bookmarks that you save will shop up here” the shop should be show I think.~~

Is there any further description on these FL, FML, FFML etc acronyms?
https://translate.sailfishos.org/hu/translate/#filter=incomplete&unit=592899

Is it stands for first- middle last name?

Also I would suggest adding the “Do not disturb” to the terminology just to ease the translation.

3 Likes

“Bookmarks that you save will shop up here” the shop should be show I think.

A bit of shopping doesn’t hurt:) Thanks and fixed!

Is there any further description on these FL, FML, FFML etc acronyms?

I believe the correct link is to https://translate.sailfishos.org/en_GB/nemo-qml-plugin-contacts-qt5/translate/#unit=592856
Indeed, F – First name, etc. Content instructions have been updated.
Prefix and Suffix are not editable via SFOS UI, but are taken into consideration when importing contacts from other sources, that have those fields.

Also I would suggest adding the “Do not disturb” to the terminology just to ease the translation.

There are many such cases that repeat – and each of them would warrant an entry in Terminology. However that is a huge maintenance burden, thus I advise to use search function, when unsure how a phrase is usually translated (it’s a good habit in any case, I use it every time).
Our Pootle used to have a “similar translations suggestions” feature (automatic lookup for terms and their combinations in existing pool of translations), however it hasn’t been working in a while. We are focusing in the whole tool replacement, instead of fixing things like that.
Until that happens, please use Search:)

Many thanks for the feedback!

Indeed, F – F irst name, etc. Content instructions have been updated.
P refix and S uffix are not editable via SFOS UI, but are taken into consideration when importing contacts from other sources, that have those fields.

Hah man I wanted to create a patch to properly handle this in the the People app and the Dialer since ages, because in Hungary we used to use Last name First name order. And it was pretty annoying to always enter the contact details in the reverse order.

If I remember correctly there is a settings in the People app to swap the order, however it only applies to the lists and got ignored in the contact form editor. I wanted to wait with that patch until the community modifications would have some formal process (ie. QML parts would be put to git).
Do I think correctly if we translate these strings properly the contact editor field order will follow it?

We are focusing in the whole tool replacement, instead of fixing things like that.

Hmm that sounds interesting. What tool do you consider replacing the pootle? I tried several open alternatives (Zanata, Weblate) but I found pootle the easiest to manage and most powerful. Saas wise there are many better alternatives but that’s a different story.

1 Like

A bit of confusion with 594096 audiorecorder-te-file_saved

Summary

Engelsk (Storbritannia)
Not enough memory. File saved.

Engineering English (translate from English UK instead)
Out of storage, file saved

and 594098 audiorecorder-te-not_enough_storage

Summary

Engelsk (Storbritannia)
Not enough memory

Engineering English (translate from English UK instead)
Not enough storage

The same as before storage memory vs RAM memory, but with the added "“We were out of storage, but the file was saved anyway” :smiley:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! We have now changed it into “storage space”.

Regards,

Jarkko

1 Like

Hi again,

We made one more change: Storage space running low. File saved. (audiorecorder-te-file_saved)

Thanks,

Jarkko

1 Like

You are right, nice find! Contact form as well as Messages view always have the first name before last. Side note: one needs to reboot (or killall voicecall-ui) for name order setting to take effect in Dialer.

I wanted to wait with that patch until the community modifications would have some formal process (ie. QML parts would be put to git).

That suggests you wouldn’t prefer to follow community’s currently existing formal process via NDA:)
We haven’t put a concrete date on open-sourcing QML parts, as I believe licensing would also need to be decided somehow, or other hurdles.

Do I think correctly if we translate these strings properly the contact editor field order will follow it?

Token format strings are only used when importing contacts without clear separation of their name parts. E.g. in a SIM card a contact is stored as “John Doe”, so we need to localise the most common use-case for your language (obviously, all international contacts would get imported wrongly, if you are importing a Hungarian’s address book).

This string does not determine the order UI elements are displayed. I have updated content instructions to reflect each case (2, 3, and 4 name parts) with an example (one English, and one Hungarian, to the best of my knowledge:))

Hmm that sounds interesting. What tool do you consider replacing the pootle? I tried several open alternatives (Zanata, Weblate) but I found pootle the easiest to manage and most powerful.

How would WebLate be inferior to Pootle if you could name a few?

@sledges I have to admit Weblate wise I do not have much up-to-date experience roughly 5 years ago I was looked for an online free CAT tool and I have had performance issues with it with a way smaller project than the SFOS translation.

Another translation related:
https://translate.sailfishos.org/hu/translate/#filter=incomplete&unit=591479
Is the 10 and 86400 really hardcoded? Would not be better to utilize placeholders there?

Regarding to the NDA based contribution: do you think that supporting the first name/last name order properly multiple places (form editor, etc.) could be implemented such a way?