[Official announcement] L10n strings for 3.4.0

ok [more characters to get 20]

In other gender-dependent cases I remember writing an equivalent of “He/she likes”.
Maybe this wouldn’t look weird: Pierwszy(-a) poniedziałek, or Pierwszy/-a środa?

2 Likes

Could go with ‘Pierwszy/a…’ or ‘Pierwsza(-szy)’ for now, not pretty but should work until strings are split per day of the week (kind of funny there is no %XGender already, but I guess english coders rule the world and it makes no sense in it)

2 Likes

Still, “storage” and “RAM” are two very different things. the English “memory” is inherently ambiguous as it can refer to either. Other languages may/will have distinct words for those two things, therefore it’s important to know which one applies.

If the UK English uses RAM where Storage is meant then that is unambiguously wrong, wouldn’t you agree.

8 Likes

Fully agree.
Memory is not to be seen As ‘flash memory’, we do need umambigous wording here. Either write flash memory or use RAM.

It is the same on Android: when someone tells me ‘zu wenig Speicher’ I automatically think of RAM not ‘disk/flash space’

2 Likes

In short: your average user probably doesn’t know of the existence RAM while they know about the existence storage memory, so the term memory is unambiguous to them.

The average user probably won’t know of RAM, because smartphone operating systems usually manage the RAM for the user. They also seem to have very few mentions of RAM in the operating system in general, since it’s none of the user’s concern. The average user doesn’t worry about possibly running out of usable RAM.

Users usually know about storage since it is at least partly managed by the user. Phone operating systems usually ask the user to free some space if storage space is running out. Applications also seem to mention to the user that they are out of storage space and there are tools to manage storage space downloadable or integrated in phone operating systems.

On the other hand, your average user won’t download an alternative operating system on your phone and install it.

Personally I always think of storage as non-volatile memory, while memory implies volatile memory for me.

4 Likes

Hi,

We have now changed the English UK to “Not enough storage space”.

Br,

Jarkko

9 Likes

Hi.

jolla-vault / sailfishbackup.ts

String 568054

The English UK is (possibly) missing: %1

The previous translation: 568053 has the: %1

Both 568053 and 568054 has the same Comments with the: %1

EDIT: Possibly same error with:
jolla-vault / settings-backup.ts / sailfishbackup-la-file_processing_failed
String: 568070

1 Like

Is the string calendar-ph-invite_people (“Invite people”) a suggestion to the user, or is it a button or menu item?

It is a button, of the same style-behaviour as the “Recurring” and “Remind me” ones below in the “New event” page.

1 Like

Thank you for spotting this, content instructions were now provided without the %1. The duplicate strings will be removed for the next L10n round.

1 Like

Hi folks!

When translating the Hungarian the UK English variant of the settings-accounts-la-enable_at_least_one_service string is empty:
https://translate.sailfishos.org/hu/translate/#unit=564468

I can figure out what to write from the engineering English, just wanted to make a note from it.

Hi,

It shows correctly on my laptop with all the languages. But the only difference is that the English UK has “1” instead of “one”.

Br,

Jarkko

Hmm. This is how it looks for me:

The same issue present for all other items from the jolla-settings-accounts:

Hi,

I don’t understand what is wrong as I can see both Engineering and UK English on your screenshots.

Br,

Jarkko

Since TJC is coming to an end. I assume that volunteering to become a coordinator is done here.

As per the wiki, “To volunteer yourself as the coordinator, write to the [TJC post of language elections], briefly describe your motives as the suitable linguist under your chosen language…”

I honestly have no experience whatsoever in translating; I have not worked in this area before. I’m however bilingual.

My motives are not grand. I simply want to bring RTL support to the masses; even though my efforts might be discarded or reimplemented if Jolla deems RTL as a viable avenue to consider later on.

I would like to volunteer myself as coordinator for Community Arabic on the basis that I have a proof of concept up and running.

8 Likes

Plural question.

Is it permissible to have a translation without the var %n?

assuming nplurals=6; plural=n==0 ? 0 : n==1 ? 1 : n==2 ? 2 : n%100>=3 && n%100<=10 ? 3 : n%100>=11 ? 4 : 5; – see source.

can I have n==0 and n==2 without %n var? or will something break?

I say this because in arabic, we dont say 2 cars(including the number), we simply add a dual suffix to it.(Sa-ya-ra–tan) where the tan is the nominative case suffix and Sa-ya-ra is car.

English explanation here https://www.softschools.com/languages/arabic/the_dual/

Source: https://arabeyes.org/Plural_Forms and https://together.jolla.com/question/134467/official-announcement-translate-sailfish-os-elections-of-community-languages-linguists/?answer=152634#post-id-152634

3 Likes

Hi,

You need to include the %1 as otherwise it may break something.

Br,

Jarkko

2 Likes

%n can be omitted as it represents a number (whereas %1 cannot as it carries variable information).

Thus it is permissible for languages with e.g. one of the plurals being a dichotomy (the dual form) to have a custom word instead of a number.

During such testing today I thought I would see some “%n argument mismatch” from Qt in the logs, but even that is not shown, so all is well:)

3 Likes

We have now added 4 new strings to https://translate.sailfishos.org/projects/sailfish-components-filemanager/

No worries about today’s end-of-translations, we’ll take them in afterwards.

1 Like