(3.4.0.24 - 4.0.1.45) Unable to update

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia XA2 H3123
UI LANGUAGE: US English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

Attempting to update to 4.0.1.45 fails.

PRECONDITIONS:

Uninstalled Patchmanager 3, OKBoard, Aliendalvik Control, Sailfish Utilities, removed all repos for Storeman, ssu release 4.0.1.45

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Download update
  2. Install update
  3. Decrypt update mode

EXPECTED RESULT:

Update succeeds after several minutes, arrives to 4.0.1.45

ACTUAL RESULT:

Setup fails after 20 seconds, reboots to SFOS in 3.4.0.24.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I’ve pulled the systemupdate.log file for this. Regarding the system itself, I reflashed SFOS 3.4.0.24 some time at the beginning of 2021, and also experienced problems with restoring my backup from 3.3.0.16, regarding my Jolla account not being restored, and then the restore failing due to the Notes app. For this reason, I do have the Jolla Notes app uninstalled. I’ve done a /system partition resize using 3840 extents for sailfish/home and 1279 extents for sailfish/root. I had Storeman for OpenRepos installed, but have removed all repos (not disabled, fully removed), and have uninstalled system modifiers like Patchmanager, Aliendalvik Control, Share to Android, Sailfish Utilities, OKBoard, Multi Keyboard Layouts, etc.

Something that stands out from examining the log that might be of interest…

Feb 07 21:53:55 XperiaXA2 sailfish-upgrade-ui[4180]: Distribution upgrade error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: installing package aliendalvik-system-9.0.0.59.16-1.5.1.jolla.armv7hl needs 91MB on the /opt filesystem

1 Like

Because it’s so large, aliendalvik is installed into its own partition mounted on /opt. Have you previously patched the system.img? A common cause of this is leaving a backup of the original img in the same directory, which takes up enough space to prevent upgrade. Have you got one of those, or anything else large under /opt?

Actually, looking back, I do believe I patched system.img to fix 3.4.0.22’s signature spoofing issue so I may need to just reinstall AD.

EDIT: In /opt/alien I had both system.img and system.img.pre_haystack which was produced by the script above. I decided to cp the pre_haystack file out to Desktop, then rm it. The system update is working at the moment, will see if it completes.

EDIT2: Removing the pre_haystack file did fix the issue of the update installing. System is now running 4.0.1.45 without issue.