[3.4.0.22] XA2 phone calls no audio

I installed qCommand to execute a script as root (real bash is installed).

#!/bin/sh

PIDtoKill=`ps axuw|grep adsprpcd|grep audiopd|grep -v grep|grep -v restart|awk '{print $1}'|grep '[0-9]'|grep '^[0-9]*$'`

if [ "x$PIDtoKill" != "x" ]
then
  #echo "PIDtoKill: $PIDtoKill"
  #kill -9 $PIDtoKill 2> /dev/null 1> /dev/null
  kill -15 $PIDtoKill
fi

So, a normal user can just tap a few times on the screen and have call audio again.
This is faster than rebooting.

Got the bug now on three devices at a time. Killing adsprpcd worked. But why on three devices at the same time??

The TimeoutStartSec=120 line is in the newest 4.1 release, but it didn’t help.
BTW, couldn’t you just do systemctl --user restart pulseaudio instead of rebooting?

2 Likes

From what I figured in my tests, restarting PA doesn’t help. Even reboot is not a garanty for bringing call-audio back. But my script didn’t fail on my devices, so far…

1 Like

You’re right. I use it on my kubuntu box, where sound also is flaky.
I will try your script. Does it need you to install a “real” bash?

Didn’t test, won’t do it too soon. If so, I’ll report…

1 Like

Thanks. For now I have audio, but I have saved your script and added it to qCommand.

I can confirm that I’m also having this issue with 4.1.0.24 on my XA2. This bug has persisted through several OS updates at this point - I would have thought failure of basic phone functionality would be quite a high priority for development of a phone OS, but it appears not…

3 Likes

Same here. Just updated to 4.1.0.24 on XA2. And audio only re-appeared after two reboots. Made us miss out on a relatively important phone call though. So, indeed, I agree this would be useful to again look into.

Hi @amaretzek,

is something missing from your script?

A single ` then no other ` to close?
By the way, the preferred way should be $(some command).

On Xperia 10 Dual SIM, I am running SFOS 4.2.0.19 since a few days. I have today for the first time no phone call audio. Everything else (sound-wise) works as before. Doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue.

What is there to try?

Yes, closing tick is missing…Thanks.

The command/script by @amaretzek did the trick for me too. Indeed, there is audio back.
This “bug” is annoying. Obviously.

Cheers

Thanks a lot! Can confirm that after killing both adsprpcd processes, i.e., just running devel-su pkill adsprpcd, resolves the issue for me when this happens. The adsprpcd processes immediately respawn and the audio is back during the phone calls.

I’ve used this trick several times now and so far worked every time.

1 Like

Could someone discuss this topic at the next community meeting? Unfortunately I can’t attend during working hours.

Hi,
I have that bug on my XA2 (4.2.0.19), too. (It annoyed me since some 3.x version.)
Killing the “adsprpcd” process did the job for me, too.
I also use qCommand for this and I’m glad I have a workaround now until this issue finally can be fixed.

I have this problem since yesterday. I did not change anything until today where i upped the device. Still not working, no restart of pulseaudio, no kill of anything. Btw i only have one adaprpcd process. Just saying: under csd tool my audio works.

I have this bug too on XA2 dual sim and I am using two sim cards.
It appeared for me with 4.2.0.19, hoped to be fixed with 4.2.0.21 but it is still there.

In my case 4.2 brought two real issues:

• this call audio problem
  • “no network” for android apps when working fine for the rest of SailfishOS/Linux.

Can i up-vote somewhere to increase Jolla’s attention on them :wink: ?

2 Likes

I had (and still have) XA and XA2 Ultra for work and personal uses, and never had any issues with calls (save work calls at workplace, but that’s due to the local link / bad network). Well maybe sometimes, but nothing reoccurring at least…

Have you tried replacing the SIM card via your operator? It may also be faulty, and work “only most of the time”. Modem getting stuck/confused could hang services, too.

I encountered this problem constantly when using XA2, on two different SIM cards from different operators, problem also being encountered in various geographical areas. Neither of the SIM cards have had any problems with any other Xperias. I believe this very strongly suggests that the problem is not specific to some SIM cards / network details, but to some XA2 units.

1 Like