[3.4.0.22] XA2 phone calls no audio

I experience the ‘no audio’ problem as well on a XA2 with 4.2.

In the past a reboot worked, however, since the Verla 4.2.0.21 update even reboots don’t work anymore, I NEVER have audio on normal phone calls. Doing an audio call with whatsapp is no problem, but when I call someone by simcard, or receive a phone call, no audio in either direction.

After two years of using Sailfish I see no option than switch to Android :frowning: I always managed to have a phone without Google or Apple, before I used Windows Phone for almost 10yrs…

https://sailfishos.org/wiki/SailfishOS

I think this issue is something that happends with Qualcomm’s Hexagon 642 DSP.
Main CPU communicates with aDSP with FastRPC. Modem or drivers uses aDSP for audio processing.
Hexagon also contains cDSP (compute).

For some reason aDSP (audio) goes or stays non working state at boot time.
Restarting adsdrpcd later seams to initialize aDSP in way that it works with modem audio processing.

I found the same problem with my Sony Xperia XA2 and SF OS 4.2.0.21 (Verla).
I have reproduced this problem quite often by booting while charging. The audio does not work in both directions. Subsequent reboot (of the device unplugged from the charger) eliminates the problem.

2 Likes

well, I tried this first time an it helped to make normal conversation.
Thanks! X10ii / OS 4.30.12

This no audio and microphone during incoming call has bee aroud for some time not an issue of 4.2 or 4.3 releases only. I have been suffering from it on XA2 earlier too. A sw bug for sure…

I confirm: XA2, SF OS 4.4.0.58 (Vanha Rauma) - already did a reboot, one single reboot.
No audio in both directions. It rings, call gets connected, timer runs - but not audio to/from phone.
Second reboot → audio works.

5 Likes

It’s a real shame this doesn’t seem to be getting any attention from Jolla development because:

• It is a showstopping issue for presumably hundreds of licensed users
  • The XA2 is a lovely sized phone
  • The XA2 is easy and cheap to get hold of

At this point in time if it’s not going to be worked on or resolved it would be better to acknowledge that fact and offer XA2 license holders some sort of credit towards a newer device license.

4 Likes

HI,

Vanha Rauma XA2. No audio in both direction. Limited to phne app. Whatapp and Telegram calls are working.

Very annoying !

2 Likes

I had that with the XA2 very seldomly and even my 10 III had this on two occasions. Rebooting the device always solved the issue.

This issue cropped up for me on the Xperia 10 ii / 4.4.0.56… Seems better on 4.4.0.68

XA2 Dual, 4.4.0.64
:sob: Just happened again.
Multiple reboot doesn’t fix.

Some more news:

Interestingly enough, this bug seems to be located out of SFOS partitions. (if I guess correctly)
I tried to reboot several times: no audio
I tried to restore /dev/mmcblk0p76 ( / and /home ): no audio
I tried to reflash SFOS: no audio

After reflashing Android with Emma, audio is back.
Audio still here after an new SFOS reflash.
Audio still here after restoring /dev/mmcblk0p76 ( / and /home ) over the SFOS reflash.

Something related with phonecalls audio, located out of SFOS, breaks.
But I have no idea of what is where.
I’d be +curious to understand more. Any ideas?

if so then it’s probably sony binaries.

I think issue is on initializing audio DSP that is used to process voice on calls e.g. echo cancelation of call.
And it’s bug on sony binaries. And sometimes problem hapends during boot and you don’t have voice on calls until succeful reboot.

XA2 4.5.0.19 also. Three reboots were necessary to get rid of it after the 4.5.0.19 update. We should ask at one of the next community meetings, if there are any news to share. If the cause is outside of SFOS, the problem will probably accompany us until the EOL of the XA2 :slightly_frowning_face:

Bugs are strange sometimes.
This never happened again to me. (IDK if relevant: I flash new SFOS versions, most of the time)

Had this problem on my XA2 for at least one year. I could reboot (once was enough for me) or I could restart adsprpcd (with qCommand it took me a couple of seconds). This happened at least once a month on my phone.

However, had to revert to Android with Emma and then reflash latest 4.4 version of SFOS about two months ago. This looks like it has cured it for me. Hope it helps others too!

P.S. This time I’ve flashed over Android 9. Previously, I’ve flashed over Android 8. Using the recommended firmware both times.

I still get this every now and then on my XA2 Ultra, but the qCommand workaroung has always fixed it so far.

Sorry, meant still getting on latest version - 4.5.0.19