Backup runs every 20 minutes instead of once a day

REPRODUCIBILITY:
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: XA2, 10 III
UI LANGUAGE: german
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

Automatic Backup runs every 20 minutes, but system settings are set to once a day.

PRECONDITIONS:

Use Nextcloud as Backup target.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Enable Backup, daily at 0:00.
  2. Wait.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Phone should make one Backup a day at the estimated time (or if not possible next time it has internet connection)

ACTUAL RESULT:

Backup runs every 20 minutes. Notification about that shows up in sidebar, backup also uploaded to Nextcloud.

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I have my backup set for Sundays at 6:00 and got a notification this morning (monday at 6) about a successful backup, and just now (still monday, 9:00pm) about a failed one.

Something seems indeed wonky about the scheduling.

I guess there’s some kind of automatic backup straight out of the Nextcloud account itself that isn’t tied to the Backup settings. The funny thing is that even the cycle of every 20 Minute doesn’t Match any of the possible cycles from the account setting (I personally Set the sync cycle to 15 minutes).
Maybe we need to disabled Backup in the Nextcloud account settings and hopefully the Backup will run as expected from generell Backup settings?

Try editing the corresponding file at

~/.cache/msyncd/sync/backup-*.xml

Find the line at the bottom specifying a <rush> and set its enabled property to false.

Does this improve things?

Duplicated by Backup to nextcloud is done too often and does not purge automatically old saves

1 Like

That old bug covers it, but is also a feature request to remove older backups. There’s already an internal bug about this, so I’ve marked it as tracked here.

Thanks for the bug report and all the info. It turns out the backup schedule is being set when the NextCloud account is created, but not when it’s later edited. We’ve committed a fix, which should go out with the next release, so I’ve marked this as “fixed”.

After the next release, if anyone still experiences this for newly created NextCloud accounts, it would be helpful to know.

In the meantime, for existing accounts where this is happening, going to the Settings > Accounts > Backup page and editing the backup schedule to something different to the current state should address the issue. After you’ve made a change you can then change it back to your preferred schedule (also on the Backup page), and it should then stick to that.

3 Likes