Backup to nextcloud is done too often and does not purge automatically old saves

REPRODUCIBILITY: always
OS VERSION: 4.4.x
HARDWARE: sony xperia xa2, xperia x
UI LANGUAGE: french
REGRESSION: no

DESCRIPTION:

A nextcloud account used for saving purpose will be filled with a lot of saved data files over the time, eating up all available space. The problem is that saving is done far too often, because it follows the sync period. If i sync every 30 minutes, i got two saved data per hour. If that file is about 20Mbytes, it means 40Mbytes / h, nearly 1Gbyte per day. When i realized the problem, i had about 130Gbyte of saved data in the SailfishOS folder of my nextcloud, for about 6 months of usage.

PRECONDITIONS:

A nextcloud account

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Configure your nextcloud account, enable « sauvegarde » (probably « backup » in english), configure a small sync time (30min / 1h), and see that on nextcloud the SailfishOS folder gets filled with lots of backup files.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Saving data should not be done more than once per day.

Old files (> 30 days, for example) should be purged automatically.
OR
The same name should be used for the saved data. After all, nextcloud itself keeps old versions of the files, so if i need an old version i can trust nextcloud for this.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Too many files created, not purged.

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Nextcloud hub v24 on a dedicated server.

1 Like

Also reported here:

Can you check whether the rush thing is enabled in the .xml file and changing it to false fixes this?

Nope, rush is already enabled="false"

I did not see the former report. One interesting thing to note is that in my case, sync is done every 35 minutes, while configured is 30. I think there’s also a minor issue with 5 minutes being added to the chosen time.

@JulienBlanc, as @nephros highlights, it looks like the bug part of your bug report (that the backups are performed at the sync time, rather than the back up time) is covered by the earlier report from @Cryx .

The suggestion to purge older backups is certainly a sensible idea, but it really belongs in the Feature Request section. For the sake of keeping things clean and clear, I’ll close this thread with the hope that further discussion about the bug can take place on the earlier thread. I’d be grateful if you could create a new post about purging backups in the Feature Request section.

If I’ve misunderstood, or you would like to keep this topic open anyway, then please send me a direct message and I can open it up again.

The issue with backups happening too frequently should be addressed in the next release, please see my comment here:

2 Likes