Xperia X - Store not showing. Fdroid not showing. Cannot receive SMS - Overwhelmed

No, it does not support Android. OK? It is the free version. I bought the version that does support Android but I can’t install it as the process is too complicated. The text issue is also not resolved. I don’t know why you’re posting what you are, but it isn’t true.

I purchased a new phone. It does not support android. Fact.

It is a new phone. It came preinstalled. But I’ve been told it doesn’t support android by Giovanni from Jolla.

I have the impression that you bought the device from the website jolla-devices.com
This has no affiliation with jolla and I think he declares clearly on his homepage that the devices come with the free versions that must be upgraded to get Android Support.
This is necessary because Jolla does not allow to transfer the licence with the device.
Upgrading to paid version is easy (but costs of course) and you do not have to reflash.

If you bought the license from Jolla you have to use the same jolla account in your phone that you used to acquire the license, otherwise the store will not provide the bought contents.

Hello David. Yes you are correct. That is where I bought the device. I didn’t see where he states the phones only have the free version, but anyway, I have the full version now. I have been told all I need to do is sign into my account, but I don’t see anyway of updating via it. What am I doing wrong?

There are 2 separate things here: you bought the device, but did you buy a licence from Jolla? You need this for android support. Once you buy it it automatically appears in the store.

the android support can be installed like an app from the jolla store if you are logged in with the correct account

Yes David, I have installed all things neccesaery but I can’t use them, or see them in “my apps”. The only option is to uninstall them. Which seems to point to the fact my account hasn’t been updated.

you have to open the jolla store app and enter the section “recommended by Jolla”. there you can select the AD app with the green Android figure icon

In my apps you only see apps you already installed

Yes David. I’ve installed the AD app, I can’t use it. The only option is to uninstall it.

But how do you know that you can’t use it? Do you have the item Android App in your settings menue?

There is no direct way of using it. When you installed it you will be able to install android apps either from the store (aptoide) app that you can find in Jolla store or by downloading f-droid apk from their website and install it from the browser.

2 Likes

Despite all your ‘problems’ I would like to ask why you decided to go for a X?
And why at all use it with Sailfish OS?

I spent a few minutes on jolla-devices.com and found that quote

Sony Xperia X is the ‘baseline’ model to be chosen with a ‘google-free’ use in mind: its outdated 4.4. support (to buy apart at 49€) do not worth the expense.

Why not a newer one XA2 or X10 with Android 8.1 support?

Here
would have been the answer regarding free and licensed OS.

I see replies that assume you know about SailfishOS, but since you are a newcomer they are not clear enough for you. So:

1. You bought an Xperia X with Sailfish OS preinstalled. Free version, which means no access to some goodies including Android app support.
  2. You do not need to install anything to get the full version. You need to:
    2.1. Purchase a license for SailfishOS for your device (Xperia X) from shop.jolla.com
    2.2. In Settings->Accounts on the Xperia X, add the Jolla account that you used to purchase the license from shop.jolla.com
  3. Having done the steps above, now you have the full version of SailfishOS. Now you can:
    3.1. Upgrade to the latest version, if available, accessing Settings->Sailfish OS Updates
    3.2. Add Android support:
    3.2.1. Open the ‘Shop’ app (the Jolla shop) and search for the app ‘Android App Support’ or ‘Android Support’
    3.2.2. Install that app. No icon will appear for it, but the Settings->Android App Support menu will now be available.
    Once Android support has been added, you can install and use compatible Android apps. Please note that Android support on the Xperia X is limited to Android 4.4.4. You can use an Android app store, such as the one available in the Jolla shop, to download apps. Please also note that Google services are not supported; there is a thread on together.jolla.com explaining how to enable them, but it’s a bit complicated, so save it for later.
6 Likes

A bit late now but welcome to the forum. With regards to your SMS problem in what device were you using SIM prior to Xperia X? When installing Sailfish X to Xperia X it is usually recommended to fully check calling ability, SMS and Data upon Android prior to installation, however this option not available to you in the circumstances: https://together.jolla.com/question/222126/guide-installing-sailfish-x-on-xperias/
Consequently you might need to go into Settings > Mobile Network > Data access point & MMS access point and check these settings.

With regard to point raised by "jameson"concerning Google Play I do wonder whether procedure would take you out of your comfort zone for little reward as more and more Android apps no longer work upon supported Android 4.4.4:https://together.jolla.com/question/114608/howto-install-gapps-gplay-google-play-kk-on-tablet-jolla-c-sailfish-x/?sort=votes&page=1

Lastly I have always used a Mac to flash Sailfish X without issues until very recently, provided you go down the “Homebrew” route should you have any further queries.

Thank you for your excellent reply. Fortunately I have sorted it out and the panic is over. I’m looking forward to learning more about Sailfish.

2 Likes

Hello and thank you. I also have Asperger’s. My executive functioning was in red alert, but thankfully all is well now.

I wanted a cheap phone that wasn’t Apple or that had Google all over it. My knowledge after that re; phones is limited. Maybe I have bought a poor option but it works for me. I really don’t want the hassle of returning the phone to upgrade it. I only use my phone for texting a few people. Email is my preferred method of communication. I almost never speak on the phone.

Thank you. Now you have an excellent device, the latest version of SailfishOS and access to updates for years to come, but unfortunately Android support only up to 4.4.4, which cuts you off from using some Android apps.