[Xperia X][4.5.0.19] Browser crashes when connecting to video conference

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Xperia X f5121
UI LANGUAGE: Swedish
REGRESSION: Probably

DESCRIPTION:

When joining Jitsi Meet (at framatalk.org, teamjoin.de), the service does get to use the phone’s camera. However, the browser crashes as soon as video starts to flow both ways.

PRECONDITIONS:

Set up a video conference from desktop.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Join the conference using the SFOS built-in web browser
  2. Browser briefly shows video (or placeholders) for both parties
  3. Browser crashes, app cover looks dead
  4. Tap app cover to restart browser
  5. Repeat from 2) with same result

EXPECTED RESULT:

Conference to start with video from both parties.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Browser crashes

MODIFICATIONS:

OpenRepos, Chum

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Note that this is different from

as the browser does get access to the camera (same OS version, different device).

1 Like

Jitsi Meet used to have problems with Firefox, more so with hardened Firefox. Some research is in order, esp. considering SFOS’ Firefox version is not the newest.

I remember ~a year ago I just used ungoogled chromium on my desktop (closest equivalent on SFOS/Android: Bromite) and the Jitsi-Meet Android app on my SFOS phone. The latter worked really well.

1 Like

I’d assume that when the browser crashes is when the problem enters developer territory. What research would you suggest for an end user?

Maybe then angelfish from chum is working? I think that’s based on chrome or chromium

1 Like

No I meant on Jitsi’s side. "jitsi-meet firefox problems " etc.

Unfortunately, the lovely Angelfish stops here:

On my XA2, I can neither use jitsi in the stock browser. No way to enable the camera.

1 Like

Ok, that’s a possible avenue of investigation, which also in developer land. However, a bad web page should not bring the browser to a crash, so there is something to be changed on the SFOS side as well

1 Like

For audio only i find the browser still more reliable than the jitsi meet app. Those crashes during conferences are really annoying…

btw i think most jitsi problems with firefox are fixed now, at least i didnt have problems for a long time

I think you should stop making this distinction, it’s not real, you only keep yourself from finding solutions.

BTW, if I remembered I’d have told you already, I also looked through my browser history.

Yes!!! I had the same warning and found no way to confirm or allow.
4.5.0.19 @ Volla/GS290

Can it be that the website wanted nasty things from the browser, that the browser legitimately denied and therefore stucks?

So what does it say when it crashes?

If i provoke a crash on YouTube, while running the browser from terminal, i get this:

postPendingRepliesAndDeferredMessages: mReplyID == null, from kWhatError:STOPPING following kWhatError:STOPPING
Redirecting call to abort() to mozalloc_abort

Segmentation fault

In my case, AngelFish doesn’t crash. It just ends at the page shown above and offer no way to allow camera use.
Regarding the stock browser, on my XA2 Single 4.5.0.19, the browser does not crash nor freeze.
I goes to the conference with disabled camera and has no reaction when I try to enable the camera by pressing the the strike-through camera button.

Logs from crashed connection attempts.
Log #1, copy/pasted from the command line

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ sailfish-browser
[D] unknown:0 - Using Wayland-EGL
greHome from GRE_HOME:/usr/bin
libxul.so is not found, in /usr/bin/libxul.so
Created LOG for EmbedLiteTrace
[D] onCompleted:105 - ViewPlaceholder requires a SilicaFlickable parent
Created LOG for EmbedLite
Created LOG for EmbedPrefs
Created LOG for EmbedLiteLayerManager
[W] QOpenGLWebPage::onDrawOverlay:107 - QMozGrab Result freed before being realized!
JavaScript error: resource://gre/modules/remotepagemanager/RemotePageManagerParent.jsm, line 307: Error: Remote page already registered: about:certificate
JavaScript error: resource://gre/actors/AudioPlaybackParent.jsm, line 16: TypeError: browser is null
JavaScript error: resource://gre/actors/AudioPlaybackParent.jsm, line 19: TypeError: browser is null
GMP-DROID Info: Found 4 color formats supported:
GMP-DROID Info:   7fa30c04
GMP-DROID Info:   7f000789
GMP-DROID Info:   7f420888
GMP-DROID Info:   15
GMP-DROID Info: InitEncode: Codec metadata prepared: video/avc width=480 height=640 fps=30 bitrate=300000 color_format=21
GMP-DROID Info: Codec created for video/avc
GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2500 frameRate=20
GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2700 frameRate=20
GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2700 frameRate=19
JavaScript error: resource://gre/actors/AudioPlaybackParent.jsm, line 16: TypeError: browser is null

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$

Log #2, Start, connect, restart from app cover after crash
sailfish-browser > log 2>&1

JavaScript error: resource://gre/actors/AudioPlaybackParent.jsm, line 19: TypeError: browser is null
GMP-DROID Info: InitEncode: Codec metadata prepared: video/avc width=480 height=640 fps=30 bitrate=300000 color_format=21
GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2652 frameRate=19

###!!! [Child][MessageChannel::Call] Error: Channel error: cannot send/recv

Log #3, Start, connect, kill app from cover after crash.
sailfish-browser > log 2>&1

GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2500 frameRate=20
GMP-DROID Info: SetRates: newBitrate=2700 frameRate=20

Added to internal tracker

1 Like

This seems fixed for Xperia X in 4.5.0.21. Thank you!