Xperia Tama port: discussion on future direction

when plugging a usb , how can I change to share media instead that is allways in delvelope mode?
Got it. In USB in settings. And I just find out, that while in media transfer, the phone is not recognizing it for that purpose but for charging . I am in Ubuntu 20

MTP works just fine; I am using https://gmtp.sourceforge.io/ and that looks to be connecting without any issues.

1 Like

That something that I have to download to be able to use MTP?

Not on the phone. Maybe on PC, but that may depend on your distribution.

is strange cause with any other phone with sailfish, the MTP hasnt been a problem before.
Actually I have just download this gMTP, and still the phone is not recognize in UBUNTU 20.
And like I said before, when the phone ask me abot what I wanna choose, develope mode or MTP or charching, using MTP , up in the screen ,keeps saying charging instead of connecting to MTP

Did you try changing the Default USB mode to MTP instead of “Always ask” before plugging in. That might fix it.

I have “Always ask” on my Tama and there has been no problems with it. Although, I am mainly using MTP for testing when there are complaints about it. Personally, I move files between PC and phone using SSH or Syncthing.

Suddenly, the only thing that I install while having this problem was CHUM and Waydroid, and maybe because I was refreshing system or whatever, the MTP starts working??

I might say thank you so much @rinigus and @lal for this work. And also for the amazing Waydroid for Sfos. Is just a new world suddenly for Linux phones.

I occasionally used to have reboots when selecting developer mode or internet sharing when set to “Always ask”. But if I selected the mode prior to plugging the phone in, it felt more stable. That said, I never used MTP and don’t use USB connection often. Syncthing and SSH user here too.

also a nice new PyFTP update - PyFTP | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System

From all those browser based solutions none is polished and nice to use (from a mom POV).

I know it might be an early discussion, are there any plans or thoughts about AOSP11/arch64 SFOS port for Tama devices in future?

Ideally, I hope not. As every port takes time and there should be a strong reason, such as we had with camera, to make a switch.

@rinigus out of curiosity have you tried flashing any of the dev phones with the 845 mainline kernel. For science :stuck_out_tongue:

@ApB: no. at some point there was a message that you need special instructions for Tama. Otherwise you can BRICK the device. Taken from SDM845 Mainlining - postmarketOS

Xperia UFS

If you phone is a Sony Xperia, DO NOT EVEN TRY TO ADD UFS TO YOUR DEFCONFIG/DTS if you’re not running a vendor-based or SODP-based kernel. It needs a workaround without which YOUR UFS WILL BE WIPED CLEAN (INCLUDING THE BOOTLOADER!). You can boot off of a SD Card or a USB drive.[1]

Scary stuff and as it seems its not worth the effort (and money burned in the case of a bricked phone)

1 Like